Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why does my puppy always whine when he goes for walks??

Hi

I have a jackrussell crossed with a chihuahua - hes 17weeks old. I take him for a 20min walk in the morning the again in the evening. Some times hes okay but he never gets excited about going for a walk, and most of the time when i take him he whines as soon as we leave the house and keeps jumping up my leggs for me to puck him up??

Im really confussed.........i think he gets bored in the house but doesnt enjoy walks either. I never make him walk far or anything and its not a busy area or anything......the odd time he is okay though.

Any ideas why hes like this??

Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My sisters puppy used to do this but it was just because he wasn't used to it but you should check your puppies paws and make sure they are all ok. Plus you should only walk a puppy 5 minutes for every month it is so you are actually over walking your puppy. When it is a year old you can walk it as much as you want but before then its five mins for every month. Your puppy should get used to walking, hope this helped

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anxiety.
    Maybe your dog is nervous about being taken outside (unfamiliar territory) and just wants to stay home where he is comfortable & 'safe', so make sure he doesn't just get his own way.
    Just remain calm & confident, try putting his lead on and walking him around the house & garden for 5 mins and then continue on to take him outside, make his walks 'fun' for him, take a few little dog-treats with you to give to him, maybe take a tennis ball to kick around in front of him and take his mind off the 'walk'.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get a choke chain

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a small dog he may well get somewhat timid in such a large space.
    Perhaps gradually build up walk distance/time, obv taking into account of his size.

As a side note I personally don't like attaching a leash to a collar, when they pull it does choke them somewhat, a harness avoids that completely as well as giving you more control.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do his claws need cutting? A vet can do this if nessessary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    just play with him but also he might not like the leash if you put him on a leash so practice in your house on the leash i hope it works oh and i would nerver get a choke chain like that other person said.