Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is the universe a black hole?

i asked this question many years ago on a newsgroup and got ridiculed to the point of being suicidal (im just joking it wasnt that bad).so, lets try againIs the universe a black hole in your opinion and any websites you can direct me to that lay out the case for such a thing.please dont laugh at me.....

sun_nyboy325

I don't think a universe is a black hole. I think the universe is like a donut, we are an ant on the donut and the donut hole is the big bang again. And we are in the middle of the donut so we are half way to the big bang again. That's my theory, and it's Ok, everybody has there own theories so I'm not going to laugh at you.P.S. Don't laugh at mine Also I wanted to add, the universe could be made from a white hole. That's just another theory I thought of.

Sunshine315

no. a black hole is a dead star that is so dense it draws in all matter that is close to it because of its intense gravitational force. is there a giant black hole in the center of the universe sucking everything into it? maybe, and this would allow for a cyclic theory where the universe implodes slowly to the point of pre-big bang density then explodes out and re-collapses and repeats over and over for ever and ever.

sunybuni

Nope - it is a swirling vapor in a MaiTai served in a martini glass and when it is finished being drunk we will cease to exist.

supababe

no the universe isnt a black hole. our knowledge of black holes indicate that within the event horizon, known laws of physics don't apply, as matter exists as a singularity.the fact that there are physical laws that govern the universe as we know it must mean that we aren't inside a black hole.obviously, nobody knows with absolute certainly whether or not thats true, but that would be the logical solution

supahcoo

No. The universe is not one giant black hole. Science has shown that the universe is expanding even as I type this to you. By the time you read this, the universe would have expanded by an additional 0.0000000000000000000000000000001 of a percent! That might not sound like much, but it is roughly the same as 3 billion times the size of our own solar system! Wow! I say all rhis to make a point. Black holes are the ultimate destination of gravity! There is no expanding as far as a black hole is concerned. It takes a star of 10 times the size of our sun to have a chance of ever becoming a black hole when it goes nova. So, the idea of the entire universe being a black hole is wrong or simply misguided. There would be nothing in the universe if it was a black hole. Black holes are the hoover vacuums of space.

sunshinedtm4747

Nope universe isnt a black hole.Black hole is a dead star which cannot hold its pressure and the intense gravitational field of the black hole pulls all the available matter into it.Black holes are generally formed due to the gravitational force that increases in a binary star system.Universe can never change to a black hole since black holes happen with one of the stars of universe but not with whole of it.You can see all the matter related to this in wikipedia.comIf a star crosses 1.4 times our solar mass(that is when the star crosses chandrasekhar limit)black holes will be formed.

Downloads
    Uploads

If it was a black hole, we'd all have been crushed out of existence at the singularity. So the answer is no. However, the universe is believed to have originated from a singularity, so there is definitely a connection between black holes and the big bang. No-one knows for sure what that connection is, as our current laws of physics cannot explain what happens inside the singularity.On a side note, the Chandrasekhar limit has absolutely nothing to do with black holes. I'm amazed that people can know about the Chandra limit and yet be ignorant about black holes and supernova.