Do you think it's right to mix religion and politics?

DownLookingUp

Feb 25, 2008
If people have moral standards based upon religion, does that mean that their political stance must be religiously justified? And is it right (considering the differing views that we all have have about religion) to mix the two? Why or why not?

Absolutely not. We don't need religion to tell us killing is bad. Or that stealing is bad. We know it is already. Its called human rights.

religion has no place in politics.....that being said, every individual has the right to use their religious fundamental beliefs to help them make a decision of whom to vote for...for themselves and nobody else.

I think it is impossible to separate a person from his or her religious and/or political point of view.And I think this applies equally to both Christians and atheists (and others).The US Constitution has sufficient checks and balances to keep this from becoming a theocracy. And an athiocracy. What a country!!

It is hard to avoid the mixture of the two. People in politics mix feeling, and morals all the time. A lot of them base their campaigns on 'family values'. We can't stop it.

No. Because a politician is supposed to represent the best interests of ALL his/her constituents, not just those of a particular religious belief. Unfortunately, this is idealistic and does not play out in real life.

No. Faith is a personal business. Moral should come from a general understanding of society, without wearing fuzzy religion-goggles. That's what I think.

Just abstain. No religion = no suffering. They will in any case be mixed. Just try to answer almost any question about politics as if it is also a question about religion. Likewise most any question about religion will want to become political. See what you get. The thing has a "life" of it's own.

no. i think people should be able to live their lives how they want and not have to follow anyones orders unless what they are doing is hurting other people or affects others.where all just people so what makes others able to say how we should live.i think allot of people think of the government as a higher being. their just people.just because an old man with Grey hair that you have no relationship with tells you that you have to live how he wants you to. a total stranger that you have never met?i dont think so.or something that someone else believes in your being forced to follow? no no

How do you divide them? The religious are not changing their views and the atheists are not changing theirs.

We get our morals from society and what we're exposed to growing up. It doesn't necessarily come just from religion.Religion and politics should never mix.

My favorite bumper sticker of all time sums up this issue nicely...."The last time we mixed religion with politics, people were burned at the stake"And Thomas Jefferson may have said it even better....."Religious institutions that use government power in support of themselves and force their views on persons of other faiths, or of no faith, undermine all our civil rights."

Although I believe it is naive and wrong to mix religion with politics it is the fundamental influence for law and justice all over the world. Humans don't need religion to possess moral standards. There is no need to mix religion with politics and it's a shame that we do, that's how wars break out.

Religion is a personal thing, and should have no place in politics. But - as the politics concerns us all, especially when we discuss what is moraly acceptable to people, these two will inevitably cross over at some stage. If a law is passed which can not be morally justified by a person or a collection of people (based on their personal beliefs), this can be accepted it is done for the benefit of the majority. Note accepted and agreed with are two different things. An example is death penalty. If the majority want it, the law may come to pass. It may not directly affect me, but because I believe this is wrong, I will dissagree with every bit of it. Politics and religion can agree to disagree up to a point.If the law requires people to change their beliefs or make them do something which they can not justify in their own minds, this would be a bad move on politician's part, very likely followed by a mass outcry. And when people get pushed into a corner and lose their respect in their leaders, this becomes very dangerous for everyone involved.

Back