Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What will happen to the universe if gravity slows expansion down and the universe stops expanding?

It is my last question for home work and I do not get it I left my f-ing book in my locker and I have no idea how to answer the question please anyone help.

Dr Watson (UK)

What will happen to the universe if gravity slows expansion down and the universe stops expanding?

The universe will collapse, which is called the "big crunch". It won't happen, though, since we live in an accelerating universe. The universe will instead die from a "big rip".

Downloads
    Uploads

HHAHAHAHAHA...im working on a unified reality theroy about kinda that, cant give to much info....But you want the answer people believe as what can possibly happen I guess....Answer is called "The Big Crunch" its when "Gravity" pulls all objects together.I know why the universe is expanding ^_^also fyi the "big rip" wont happen.

Downloads
    Uploads

The universe would implode.

Downloads
    Uploads

if the gravity slows down the expansion of the universe then the universe will stop expanding. that means that the universe can even start shrinking or contracting due to the large gravitational force. let the shrinking continue and you will get a universe just as it was during the big bang- small, hot, all matter disintegrating or coupling etc. a little later, the universe shall collapse onto itself(the big crunch).

dpj5

well if gravity was that strong not just the big crunch would happen but there would be no life(not on planet earth and surely not as we now it) because gravity would then crush all of us to easy if gravity was that strong Jupiter would probably turn into a star another reason why there would be no life on earthand yes the big crunch would probably happen if gravity was that strongeverything as we now it would be different there would be more massive stars and unknown processes would become realities star that would end up as a huge black hole could become something totally different if it swallowed its companion neutron starhope this helps hey

Downloads
    Uploads

There are many theories. One of them is that the universe will shrink and another says it will just remain