Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

could i beginner ride a 1000c sport bike?

just hear me out for a second im not saying i want one im just wandering if someone could who took the motorcycle safety foundation course actually be able to handle a bike like that. if they were careful and respected the bikes power. i mean arent there thousands of guys out there that started out on 900+ cc bikes and are still alive today. im just wandering-- plus in case anyone asks i want a suzuki sv650 and want to get a yamaha r1 a few years after i become really good so you dont think im some idiot whos trying to buy a r1 right now(besides the insurance costs would kill me before the bike).

Downloads
    Uploads
    nobody started on a 900 You are missing the point I don't care how many times you give me the I respect the power blah, blah blah, how can you respect the power, you never experienced, The biggest problem with a very fast motorcycle is this, you have no clue, not to disrespect your skills (what ever they may be, but the simple fact that a bike, that big, and heavy, and fast can get you in trouble before you realize it, so for example you grab a handful of throttle like you got used to doing on a 250, well you do that on a 900 or bigger and it would fire you down the freeway like nothing you ever experienced and that's the problem at sixty mph, a 1000 will fire you down the freeway so fast your bike will be wedged in grandmas trunk, with you forty feet on the other side sitting in the bed of a pickup in front of grandma.
    I saw what was left of some kid on his new ninja when they first came out, he turned a corner. just one short block, and nailed the gas, a few hundred feet and he was flying and the car stopped to turn left, he rear ended it bike just stopped and bounced back, and the rider flew over the car completely and when I drove around the mess he had landed on the receiver hitch ball with his open face helmet DEAD, IS DEAD.There is no second chance.
    I watched a police officer on a kawasaki 1000 making speed runs many years ago, he made an illegal u turn on a red light right in front of me one day while I was waiting for a ride. he came back made a second illegal u turn on a red light and just cranked on the throttle as hard as he could through all the gears and disappeared up over an overpass over a railroad yard in top gear just motor screaming. A few minutes later he came back, made a third illegal u turn on a red light, and if possible twisted the wick and rocketed up over this over pass at high speed. A few minutes later 3 police cars pulled up in front of me and were asking questions, a fourth police officer pulled up and asked if anyone had seen an ambulance, or heard the officer down call, I realized I saw an ambulance go over the same overpass, but no lights or siren, as the cop did , and still not realizing the motorcycle cop had crashed, I pointed over the hill, and all four cop cars took off in a cloud of dust and rubber smoke over the overpass My ride pulled up right then after witnessing the police cars fly over the overpass, He had just come over the same hill the cops all disappeared and my friend billy said we cant go that way there is a horrible accident scene. (but since billy was driving MY CAR, I TOLD HIM WHAT I HAD SEEN AND WE WENT over that same overpass. Just on the other side of the overpass, was a car at the bottom of the overpass with a full size 4 door sedan with the trunk bent straight up like a sideways L and then was a several hundred yards long trail of bits and pieces across four lanes of traffic. A ways down the road was a car on the opposite side facing me with the entire front end smashed up, like a sideways L . then another several hundred yards long trail of small parts like big dinner plate size pieces, at the end of that were all these cops just standing there, in total shock, looking at something small like a torso of a human under this blanket or sheet . not to far from that, was what was left of a police motorcycle just the size of the engine was the biggest piece. Im sure that cop respected the power too, It didn't save him from some other driver making a mistake. You fail to realize my young friend, YOU ARE NOT ALONE OUT THERE, ITS NOT YOU, ITS THE MISTAKE SOMEONE ELSE CAN MAKE THAT YOU CANNOT STOP IN TIME OK???????????????? DO YOU GET IT YET. so realize, you can buy a bigger bike ok, but you cannot buy another head.

Downloads
    Uploads
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bad idea.

i didnt even read the rest of the post, a 1000cc bike is a BAD idea for a beginner! go wirh a ninja 250 instead. I only say this for your own safety.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A 1000cc sport bike is bigger and heavier than the bike you rode in the MSF course. It wouldn't be as easy to ride, but the principle is the same and if you are careful you shouldn't have any problem. A real sportbike, like an R1 or GSX-R 1000, has steering geometry that is very sensitive and 'twitchy'. So you'd have to be careful, you'd have to treat it with respect until you could handle it.

As far as the power goes, I don't think it's a problem. You don't have to use every hp every second. They can be ridden very fast but they don't have to.

The Suzuki SV650 is a good choice for a first bike. An R1000 is not that much heavier (if at all).

Downloads
    Uploads
    i totally get you and hear you out!! i have a 2007 r1 and tons of riding hours everyone HAS HORROR STORY'S bottom like is yes you raise your risk of getting hit on being in an accident by riding even a moped! so if you go of everyone's this guy i know crashed his sport bike then no one would every buy one and we would all sit a home shaking and saying damn im glad i didn't buy that bike! your plan seem to be a good one, get some riding time and then get you the r1 which btw isnt just turn the key and 100 mph everytime you turn the throttle, fact is the bike is as tame as a 600 below 8k rpm so even if you bought it and kept your respect for the power you'll do just fine,ego has alot to do with these bikes, save the balls out for the track and keep your purse for the road......