Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    nanna

why does my dial up Internet keep turning off.?

I have a dell desktop with dial up. when I go into out look express then go to another web site (any one) my internet disconnects. I am running xp and have 1gb memory. I am not to savy with the technology so please explain dumb like.

Downloads
    Uploads
    dial up has the weakest connection. Could be a time out thing. The signal is moving across phonelines, and depending on your setup......... When someone calls you, it can interrupt the signal. Rain moving the phone poll wires around.......

You may want to look in to DSL. DSL is not very expensive mine is about 15 or 17 a month. It's not faster than cable but with all 4-5 computers connected to it, it's still faster than dial up and you can use the phone as well.

All you need basically is a router, some phone line filters, and connect to it with a ethernet cable or wirelessly.

Justin
    the problem is that you are using dial up in the year 2008

Downloads
    Uploads
    yup, the joy of dial up

My Evil Twin
    Dial-up blows chunks.
    Get DSL, at the very least.
    We have a Cable connection through our Cable TV provider and it almost never goes down.

sosguy
    I believe there is a simple solution to your problem. You probably have your Outlook Express set to hang up after receiving mail. To fix this: open Outlook Express - Go Tools/ Options/ Connections tab - dial up connection - uncheck hangup after receiving and sending mail.

Shahana S
    thats a good qestion mine is to but do u tern it off by the monitor alot that might be the problem lol well if thats not i don't no what to tell u good luck

Downloads
    Uploads
    First determine if it is Outlook Express. Just dialup and download your email. Don't use your web browser and see if it still happens.

If it doesn't, then dialup and just use the browser. You need to narrow it down.

Usually a hangup is related to incorrect settings for your dialer. However, someone else is logged into your account.