Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tanuj b

What does this poem mean?

Hazy autumn moon
    the sound of chestnuts dropping
    from an empty sky
    I gather your belongings

into boxes for the poor

*HandyDandy*
    it means i want you out and i'm throwing away your stuff.

♥Oh♥Baby♥Me♥
    it means you are being put out. they are packing your stuff and taking it to the salvation army.

PeachPie
    I don't understand how the chestnuts drop from the "empty" sky if you just said there was a hazy autumn moon out. but anyways, it means she dumped this guy on an autumn night and she's giving all his stuff to the poor so that he can inadvertently do something unselfish.

Ari
    sounds like the speaker is lamenting onset of want when poverty knocks on the front door like chestnuts dropping from an empty sky.

kalie
    well it is a bout autumn duh but it is a botu someone moving on from some kind of loss

laziifrog
    its been a year of losing someone special and its about time to let go and build new life.

bailingwirewillfixit
    You left me, I waited and you didn't return, so I'll get on with my life and give your unwanted things away!

straycat
    The parting of a loved one, either through death (most likely as it has been tradition to pass on the clothes of the deceased to the poor) and the loneliness the person is feeling while tending to the task.

emenbensma
    Except for the five lines, this fits much of the pattern of a haiku. The format is a connection between nature, a season and a moment of awakening or intense feeling. "Hazy autumn moon" is a familiar haiku kigo. Autumn is a season of loss -- "empty sky." Gathering belongings for the poor says death to me. I'd say the speaker had a loved one die suddenly and they are feeling that empty sense of hopelessness, so they are giving the loved one's things to do good for others, so they can see some meaning or value in this loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast