Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rookie question about hunting?

I've never been hunting because my dad was done with that by the time I was old enough. then the friends I hung out with just weren't into it. I met a few people now who go hunting. I want to go with them sometime but I'm nervous because I'm a rookie. they sometimes go for 2 weeks moose hunting. wouldn't they be bored out of their minds for two whole weeks in the woods?! what would I need to bring? any other hunting advice welcomed!

Downloads
    Uploads
    For many of us two weeks in the woods is a vacation. We like it there. It is calm, peaceful, and beautiful.

A hunting trip is more than hunting. It is time with friends and family.

For drinkers it is a time to binge.

What you need to bring varies with where you are and what you are hunting. If you get invited to go with these friends, they will tell you what you need to bring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, 2 weeks is a bit of a long time unless you are on a mission to fill a tag. Hunting camps are a lot like a camping trip, you pack appropriate for where you are going, etc. A two week trip almost certainly requires driving to resupply unless you have a cabin with some sort of running water and food storage.

If its your first time, why not go with them for three or four days? That will give you a sample of what its like and let you get a feel for stalking, tracking and drinking lots of beer. If somebody tags out, then you get to see what gutting out and field dressing is like. Stick with the old guys, make friends and do a lot of listening.

Its fun, but its not for everyone. I do encourage you to embrace it, some of the best friendships ive made happen around a campfire in deer camp.

Junior Member Kidwitha12gauge6e0's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You find stuff to do.With friends you can sit around shooting off rounds seeing who is the best.If I had the money I would shoot 24 hours a day 365 days a year

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can spend weeks in the woods without ever once being bored. Bring a big book, a board game, a few rifles for target shooting (you can have contests with your friends), a deck of cards, some dice, etc. Neat things (if you are interested) include books on local flowers and birds, edible plants, animal tracks, and various other things you might find in the bush. It's good to have a little background and it's actually pretty neat! Go for a hike and bring a camera. Nobody said you had to look for a moose the entire time you were out. When we make camp somebody always has a harmonica or a guitar.
    If you ARE going then bring most of the following:
    Sleeping bag and some sort of foamie or mattress unless you're sleeping in a trailer.
    Wool socks. Lots of them. There is nothing worse than wet or cold feet.
    A decent pair of hiking boots. Waterproof. See above comment re: cold and wet feet.
    A spare pair of boots in case pair A does become wet.
    Spare clothes in lots of layers.
    A natural deodorant. Trust me, you have a scent. You don't need to add to it by piling on the cologne and Old Spice.
    Gloves if it's cold.
    A hat to shield your face and keep the sun out of your eyes.
    Bug spray for night time.
    Toothbrush and various other hygiene items if applicable.
    A first aid kit.
    Any medications you may be on or may need (now is the time to dig out your asthma inhaler just in case). Tylenol and ibuprofen never hurt.
    Extra food. Trail mix keeps well.
    I trust your more experienced friends will be bringing the supplies like the grill, axe, etc.
    As far as hunting advice goes: stand still, be quiet, and keep your feet dry.
    Fortunately, moose are kind of stupid.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You would definitely need a gun. The minimum would probably be a 7mm rem mag. Preferred would be a 300 win mag or a 338 win mag. Or a bow. You need multiple layers of clothing to adjust to weather changes. A good pair of boots, probably waterproof because moose like marshy areas. Camo clothing is optional but preferred by most. A quality hunting pack to carry all of your miscellaneous gear (snacks, extra ammo, first aid, flashlight, etc). Mabey shooting sticks to steady your aim since you are a rookie(no hard feelings lol). To pass the two weeks mabey bring a fishing pole or fly rod for a local river or lake. Believe me you wont be bored. Hunting takes alot out of you so you'll be sleeping or out in the field. Good luck.