Therapeutic Horse back riding help?

Nicole

May 13, 2008
Hello today I'm volunteering at my schools equestrian center. They mostly do therapeutic riding for the mentally and physically disabled. I know I shouldn't be but I'm extremely nervous. I'm not super knowledgeable about horses, but I have been around them a little bit more than most of the volunteers. Even though I went to training the other day, they really didn't seem to help my nerves. The girl who was giving the tour basically ran through everything in 15 minutes. And even though I tried to ask important questions about tacking a horse, and leading them, she just shrugged it off and said its all trial and error. But to me I don't like the "trial and error" part. Not only do I not want to hurt the horse, but I don't want to get hurt. I know most things will come with time working there, but it still makes me nervous that they expect us to know what to do right out of the gate. Most of the volunteers stay for only three hours because for some classes that is all their required to do, but I wanted to do it because I feel like it's the right thing to do, and I get to learn more about horses. I think what I'm most worried about is working with the people. Usually its children and adults that come in for the the riding, and I'm so nervous that one of them is going to fall off or the horse will take off. I know the horses are really well behaved but I'm afraid if I'm leading the horse and something happens it will be blamed on me because I couldn't control it. Has anyone else worked at a facility like this? If so how is it working there?
Thank you!

Back