Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    teachervic

Should atheists take Christmas and Easter holidays?

Such holidays are for people who believe in the significance of these events. Also, as a matter of principle, atheists should report to work if they are to stand up for their beliefs. What about Christmas bonuses?

meg:)x
    Athiests need holidays aswell!

The Mommy
    why cant everyone celebrate either of these highly commercialized days??? if I want to celebrate a crucification and a birth and a ressurection, why cant they celebrate the easter bunny and santa claus...(which most christians do anyways)

Downloads
    Uploads
    if we want to, that's the great thing about it, we can celebrate whatever pagan holidays we like because we won't be going to hell for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I do work on easter sunday, but the company i work for isn't open on christmas day, it's open on christmas eve and boxing day though.

djmfan08
    christmas and easter are commercial now- like it or not. why should we be discriminated against getting bonuses just for religion. i dont see anyone getting a kwanza bonus or a ramadan bonus (sorry if i misspelled).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well if everyone else isn't working and the shops are closed what else do you expect them to do?

Don't you Americans call Christian 'the holiday season' anyway?

willow
    Ummm...yeah....Actually these holidays were Pagan to begin with and the Catholic Church took them and modified them to win over converts to their religion. Sooooo....you are actually honoring a Pagan holiday if ya wanna get technical about it.

As for me...these holidays are entirely secular. I do not even observe Easter. It is just another day. Christmas/Yule I celebrate with my family with no religious overatures...period.

~Atheist

Diogenes
    Actually, before I retired, this atheist was pleased to work Christmas and Easter holidays -- usually for double or even triple pay. Because the phones were quiet and the place was deserted, I could get an enormous amount of work done. ...especially the back-log of persistent problems.

Christmas bonuses are another matter altogether. New hires don't receive a Christmas bonus because they have not yet earned it by being a diligent employee. Atheists have a perfect right to a "Christmas" bonus, they've earned it just like every other employee, through participation in the company. Remember, Jews, Wiccans, Pagans, Muslims -- they also receive "Christmas" bonuses.

MollyMac13
    There shouldn't be any 'religious' holidays. Everyone is entitled to a break regardless of their religion so make all holidays secular ones and let people do want they want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast