Should atheists take Christmas and Easter holidays?

T

teachervic

Such holidays are for people who believe in the significance of these events. Also, as a matter of principle, atheists should report to work if they are to stand up for their beliefs. What about Christmas bonuses?

why cant everyone celebrate either of these highly commercialized days??? if I want to celebrate a crucification and a birth and a ressurection, why cant they celebrate the easter bunny and santa claus...(which most christians do anyways)

if we want to, that's the great thing about it, we can celebrate whatever pagan holidays we like because we won't be going to hell for it.

Well, I do work on easter sunday, but the company i work for isn't open on christmas day, it's open on christmas eve and boxing day though.

christmas and easter are commercial now- like it or not. why should we be discriminated against getting bonuses just for religion. i dont see anyone getting a kwanza bonus or a ramadan bonus (sorry if i misspelled).

Well if everyone else isn't working and the shops are closed what else do you expect them to do?

Don't you Americans call Christian 'the holiday season' anyway?

Ummm...yeah....Actually these holidays were Pagan to begin with and the Catholic Church took them and modified them to win over converts to their religion. Sooooo....you are actually honoring a Pagan holiday if ya wanna get technical about it.

As for me...these holidays are entirely secular. I do not even observe Easter. It is just another day. Christmas/Yule I celebrate with my family with no religious overatures...period.

~Atheist

Actually, before I retired, this atheist was pleased to work Christmas and Easter holidays -- usually for double or even triple pay. Because the phones were quiet and the place was deserted, I could get an enormous amount of work done. ...especially the back-log of persistent problems.

Christmas bonuses are another matter altogether. New hires don't receive a Christmas bonus because they have not yet earned it by being a diligent employee. Atheists have a perfect right to a "Christmas" bonus, they've earned it just like every other employee, through participation in the company. Remember, Jews, Wiccans, Pagans, Muslims -- they also receive "Christmas" bonuses.

If sickos like you are to say we are one nation under god and write in god we trust on money then why not jerk0ff?

There shouldn't be any 'religious' holidays. Everyone is entitled to a break regardless of their religion so make all holidays secular ones and let people do want they want.

Everything having to do w/ Christmas and Easter was stolen from the Pagans anyhow. I have no problem w/ Atheist celebrating these holidays. Christians on the other hand should stop putting up trees, giving and recieving presents and caroling. They should stop decorating eggs and getting easter baskets full of chocolate bunnies and other goodies. You should be in church on these days and that's it.

I think, if you want to, go for it. I'm athiest, but take Christmas holidays because I travel to visit family. Its the best time of year to visit because I also have school off. However, I don't take Easter off because I don't celebrate it. I feel that someone who does want to celebrate should be able to take the day off.
Its not really about standing for my beliefs, its more that...thats when I want to get off work.

Sorry mate not gonna happen.

I hear this argument every christmas, it actually makes me laugh that christians want it all to themselves but theres nothing they can do to stop me taking the holidays and enjoying them just as much in my secular way

Plus we had those holidays before jesus was born. Yule and Oestre

Yes, we work too much in the USA as it is.

BTW, do you have a problem with non-Xtians taking this holiday (Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.)?

If Christians can celebrate pagan holidays like Christmas, Halloween and Easter, why can't we?

I believe in the winter solstice and the equinox, which are the events Christians stole for Christmas and Easter!!!!!!!!! So I aint frickin workin man!!!!

Nice try. Everyone gets Christmas off, Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. Yet only Christians believe in Christmas. It is a public Holiday regardless of who it is commemorating.

*sigh*

Yet again, someone else who seems to have forgotten that Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox have been around for thousands of years BEFORE Christianity was made up. If said person had the ability to see outside their narrow box, this should be apparent.

However, if anyone can explain how colored eggs and rampant capitalism have anything to do with religion, I'm all ears. As far as I'm concerned, I'll take a week off with pay on your behalf, O Holy Man. Besides, NO ONE works on Easter except retail employees, and according to Exodus 35:2 they should be put to death for doing so anyway. So says the Christian rulebook.

Happy Easter brunch!

Do they work the same hours????
Then they get the same days off!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatever you want to call it they deserve that bonus just as much as you!

Back