Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How can I stop my dog from growling and snapping when I pick him up?

He is not hurt, he doesn't do it every time, he mostly does it with me, occasionally with my partner. He is an 11 month old Bichon and he started doing this about a month ago. It started with him growling when I would pick him up on our bed (he's too little to jump down himself, so I have to pick him up to put him off the bed), then just recently he started growling and snapping when I pick him up at other times around the house. He bares his teeth, growls, and then gets out of control, flailing around and trying to bite me.

When this happens I stay calm and pin him down on his back and hold him until he relaxes. I don't know what else to do - any ideas? Or do I just need to keep doing this and be patient?

Don't say don't pick him up, he is a small dog, people are going to pick him up and he has to get used to it, period.

He is very sweet otherwise, loves meeting new people, is really submissive around kids.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You tell people that he doesn't like being picked up and if they want to cuddle him they can either sit on the floor, or call him onto the furniture.

Quit picking him up!!!

Quit putting him on his back!!! You're doing nothing but teaching him that you are a bully.

How would you like it if your best friend slapped your ass when ever he saw you?
    No matter where you were or who you were with?
    You hate that, you've tried to tell him to stop, but he keeps doing it...

Wouldn't you be pissed?

Downloads
    Uploads
    be patient with him, you need to keep a routine and keep consistency with your training methods. Something may have happened, he might have been hurt once while being picked up and that has given him a bad memory and causes him to be slightly aggressive the next time. Show him you wont hurt him but also teaching him it is wrong to do it! Just make sure you are consistent with the training!

Downloads
    Uploads
    be patient with him, you need to keep a routine and keep consistency with your training methods. Something may have happened, he might have been hurt once while being picked up and that has given him a bad memory and causes him to be slightly aggressive the next time. Show him you wont hurt him but also teaching him it is wrong to do it! Just make sure you are consistent with the training!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like it's time for an attitude adjustment. I would look into Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF).

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
    http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/nilif.pdf