Slow Internet after Static IP Config/Reverting back to Dynamic IP?

Caboose

Mar 27, 2008
This is rather complicated, but bear with me. So I wanted to configure a static IP address for Starcraft Hosting (forwarding those ports). I found some information (Ctrl Panel, LAN, TCP/IP Properties, Input my Static IP. I used 192.168.1.3 because the site recommended it. However, after setting that up and the DNS servers (using site info), I restarted my computer but I could open any internet based programs such as Hamachi. I was also playing around with the DHCP Client in Admin Tools. I told it to disable and stop Automatic startup before all this. I tried undoing the LAN inputting stuff and that didn't let me go onto the internet at all (before I could go on AIM and on the web but not Hamachi). After that I reset the DHCP Client fully, so now everything works normally...except...my internet connection speed. Usually it runs at 768kbps. Now it is only 60kbps. Is there a setting I missed to change back? A diagnostic I can run? Please help, thank you!!

Wow, you really messed things up. I don't mean to be so judgmental, but before you start a project like this, try to understand what you're doing instead of just going "step 1...".

With that being said, if you're experiencing significant slowness, you're going to go step-by-step reverting settings back to the way they were. You may want to look at DNS settings, WINS settings, etc. If you had to input some MTU settings, see how to reverse that.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but it's hard to troubleshoot something that I don't know ALL the steps taken to get to that point.

Back