my mom said don't go to mexico?????

Feb 20, 2008
my mom said that if i go on vacation to mexico that there is a good possibility that i will get murdered while i am there. i know that she doesn't want me to go, but its only for three months,and i will be taken care of by my boyfriend. but my mom thinks i won't make it back. Is it really that bad.

every country has it's good places and it's bad places, it all depends on where you go, just make sure you are never alone, don't act too much like a tourist, don't carry alot of money with you or jewels, and use you common sense.but yeah, suposely they do kidnap alot over there, but mostly rich people.

That depends on how you travel and where you go.Mexico has a high rate for kidnappings, rapes and murders as well as a combination thereof. US natizens are particularly vulnerable, especially in the border cities along the US border and in Mexico City DF.On the other hand, if you KNOW someone down there, or if you are in a properly established tour and do not wonder off on your own without the knowledge of the area and its characteristics, you are susceptible to any sort of crime.Mexicans look at morality far different than we do, and that is not a racist statement. Mexicans in Mexico are victimized by the same situations as US tourists, except that US tourists wear the uniform of the ignorant victim walking into his or her own trap. Groups are not always safer either, unless it is an organized group such as in a tour group. That is why they have so many resorts...people who do not know the ways of Mexico should keep in "Disneyland societies" down there, and the people who know the ways of Mexico know how to navigate with less vulnerability -- but not with total immunity from kidnapping, robbery, rape and murder.

As soon as my daughter turned 18, she and her boyfriend went. They went to Tiawana, Mexico. It was hard to believe because she is very light skin, blond hair and blue eyes....so if she can make it I think anyone could. She did tell me a lot of there living conditions are pretty dirty. They hang out on the streets down there. She said, they really gave her alot of attention too. So, really check into things before you just go.

Take your Mom's advice. The chances of you being murdered are remote, but Mexico is a land of corruption and danger. If enough travellers stay away from there some action may be taken by local authorities to clean up their act, the tourist trade is vital to their economy. Send a note to the Mexican Embassy advising them why you will not visit the country.

If you go to the mall in the U.S you may get murdered. Ifyou go to CHURCH in the US. you may get murdered. If you drive on a highway in the U.S. you may get murdered! There have benn mass shootings in ALL these, and other places in the U.S....but people like to concentrate on the occaional reports of crime from Mexico and ignore the things happening in the U.S. There is crime everywhere. If you come to Mexico and spend your time hanging out withdrug dealers in a border town, you will be exosed to crime. If you walk around in the middle of the nte, drunk, hang out in bars, flash money and act like an idiot, youwill be exposed to crime. If you come, use thesame common sense you do at home and visit the majority of Mexico...which is safe...you will be fine. I am an American woman living alone in Mexico...and know many others...and am perfectly safe. I have put a link below for a similat question a few days ago...good answers there for you to read. I watch the American news here every day...and if i judged the u.S. by the reports of crine i see On this AMERICAN news channel...I would think the U.S. is too dangerous to go to too.

I am american and I live in mexico for 8 months.. I was accepted easily and nobody bothered me. I was with my husband and his family. As long as you're going with someone who is from there, not by yourself, you're fine. Trust me. I went to mexico city and to many other larger cities and I was just fine. My mom told me the same thing, but when I came back just as I had left, she realized that it really isnt that bad.. just keep your handbags close to you, or try not to carry one if you can, and stay with a native.

My mom said no too, but I just waited until I was 18, and out of HS! I've gone to Cancun, Mazatlan, and Tijuana... I came back fine, except with a HUGE hangover! :) Have fun!!!

Please don't believe everything you read on this site about Mexico, many of these people have never been there, they just use it to bash the country and its fine people. I too live alone in Baja California. No gang wars, few thieves, little danger. I've traveled widely and Mexico is no different than any other country. Travel is always a risk. You know how to take care of yourself, have a great time and bring home many happy memories.

Is it safe to go to Columbine ,Virginia Tech, the malls and to Church?. was it safe on the beltway.? There are an estimated 50 serial killers at work in the U.S.as I am typing this..200,000 MURDERS iN THE U.S.A in the past ten years.Most of the violent cartel action is a product created by America and their lust for drugs.The sheer millions of "Drug Addicts" is responsible most of the violence here.If I were you I would find a way to move here where you WILL be safe (if you stay out of the drug trade.)Was it safe to go to the world trade Center.?Most Mexicans(99%) you will see go about their business and really dont even notice you.(Unless you are white as a ghost) then you will get a stare or two from some.Your fear of Mexicans is somewhat racist that you think they all are the same.Because one black person kills someone would you think they are all a threat.Most Mexicans raise their kids properly and the church in my barrio is packed every Sunday.Mexicans judge people on their merit and are very friendly.Cancun had a few Murders last year and had 1.75 million people pass through .I believe Washington and Detroit have similar numbers for a combined total of about 1,600 murders and you are worried about coming here?.

every place has its good areas and bad areas. this all depends on your awareness of the situation that is around you and your ability to not go of the bad areas and talk you way out of the situation. you can't rely on your boyfriend alone cause when bad things happen the people who start it are in groups or have some sort of advantage so unless he is highly trained he can lose. basically if you are smart about where you are and what you are doing your fine if not you could have a problem

Back