Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is Divorce the answer?

I'm 28-yrs old & married. I am SO torn over whether I made the right decision. Ironically, I started having these doubts before my wedding, but disregarded them as cold feet, ignoring my instincts. Here I am 3 years later still losing sleep over what to do with my life. The problem is, I do love my husband. He has many great qualities: reliable, loyal & one of the most intelligent people I know- I turn to him for everything. However, that intelligence comes at a price. He's always getting mad & barking at the smallest things. He's easily irritable cuz others R so 'incompetent.' He often uses an aggressive tone of voice, not realizing it, & it makes me so aggitated. I can't even enjoy the many vacations he books for my happiness cuz he's always rushing to nowhere insted of enjoying the moment & he hates dancing- my fave thing to do, I rely & depend on him so much (to a fault), but I question how happy I can ever truly be with such traits. But R they worth uprooting my entire life for?I have told him many times how I feel. Even threatened to leave on more than one occasion. He improves temporarily, then goes back to his old ways. We have good moments too, which is what makes figuring this out more difficult.I also ask myself how effective talking or counseling can be. At the end of the day, there will always be a fundamental joy lacking from his personality. Can you teach someone to have a 'joie de vivre.' And isn't that what will make the difference betwn a fun, enjoyable life & one lived flawlessly to protocol but dull & serious?

Downloads
    Uploads

Is Divorce the answer?

Have you ever tried telling him how you feel?I feel you can have separate interests and still be very much a couple. So what if he doesn't like dancing? Go without him! My husband loves to dance and I am horrible so he dances and I dont. Not a big deal.Maybe he needs to work on his attitude and how he treats other people, but I dont think you necessarily need to leave him over this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is Divorce the answer?

many men out there act this way...get him a book on zen, make him understand it...i always say,if you marry a man knowing he is that way, you cant change him...

Downloads
    Uploads

Is Divorce the answer?

If your not happy....what type of life are you having anyways?

Downloads
    Uploads

Is Divorce the answer?

Really should have thought about this when the doubts first came up BEFORE the wedding, but now that you're in the marriage, seek counseling.PS--if he's as "intelligent" as he thinks he is, he'll realize counseling is another learning experience he can further benefit from.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is Divorce the answer?

YOU BOTH NEED TO COMPROMISE ON YOUR LIKES AND DISLIKES. EVERY MARRIAGE HAVE THERE BUMPS IN THE BEGINNING. DON'T GIVE UP ON HIM AND YOUR RELATIONSHIP. YOU PROBABLY THINKING I SHOULD OF... I COULD HAVE.....ETC,ETC. STOP THAT. WHO CARES OF WHAT YOU THOUGHT IN THE PAST. THINK OF NOW AND THE FUTURE.

Junior Member ttKDSGDGttttKWDGHttt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is Divorce the answer?

He sounds pretty intense. You will need to get his full attention. I would mention that you have been considering a divorce and then go mute, go to sleep, or leave him alone at home to think about it. When he does later confront you if he seems concerned and interested you could then mention that you "might consider" counseling..... dangle the bait and let him bite it as the lesser of 2 evils (counseling or divorce). I'd say give a healthy try at counseling before going to an attorney. Later you won't be plagued with doubts as to whether you did enough.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is Divorce the answer?

It only gets worse from here. I don't think divorce is ever the answer but maybe you need to enlist the help of a professional and ask them how to deal with his mightier than thou attitudes. It's great that he is so smart but when he does it at other's expense he can't be very happy either. BEing lead dog can be a lonely place and if he isn't shown that that then both of you will suffer. If you don't have kids yet, WAIT, he'll start talking to the babies that way then it's carried thru generations and gets harder and harder to deal with. I feel for you b/c I can be snappy with my husband too. Not b/c I'm so smart but b/c we come from 2 very different backgrounds and sometimes I need to be reminded that I am not better than he is and I love him for a reason.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is Divorce the answer?

a communication gap may be there.however, some person does not care the feelings of others.

Member tttttt:tSEXYGIRLt:tttttt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is Divorce the answer?

You aren't living your life but the life your husband has chosen for you. He sounds like he is trying to make you feel inferior to him. My daughter's first husband was like that. She thought it would change but it got worse. She divorced him after 7 years of marriage and met a great guy a year later. They are happily married and have a little boy. He moved on to a much younger girl he could impress and control with his intelligence. My daughter ran into him and says she is so glad to have left him. You can make it on your own. I left an abusive marriage of 18 years with 2 children 11 and 15. I could not wait for the door to close after he left. I cannot express the feeling of never having him tell me what to do again. I kept the house, raised the children and have a great life. I met a great guy not even a year later and have been happily married for the past 21 years. You can do it if that is what you want. Dont be afraid. I was more afraid to stay. You will do whatever you have to do to make it but believe me it will be worth it in the long run. Maybe your family will help when they realize what he is putting you through. I don't believe in divorce as the answer to everything but no one should have to take abuse. Mental abuse is sometimes worse then physical. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast