Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting checked at 36 weeks?

I am 38 weeks and 5 days. When I was 36 I went to my appt and they told me my dr wouldn't start checking me until the following week and I was like ok cool....I went back at 37 weeks and he still didn't check me just gave me the strep test...ok no big deal. I went back at 38 weeks and he was on vacation so I didn't get checked then either just listened to the heart beat. Now they can't see me until Thursday which is when I will turn exactly 39 weeks.....is this normal for him to wait so long to check me? I know it really shouldn't matter but I am so far along and so sick of pregnancy that I was hoping he would have checked me last week and since he can't see me today or tomorrow it's just 2 more days I have to go to see if I am dilated....sorry I think I am venting to!Anywho, just curious if anyone got this late in the game before they started getting checked to.....thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

No ma'am my doctor started checking me at 36 weeks, last week, and I was checked again this week...I'd be asking someone to please do a cervical and let you know what is going on and where baby is...

Downloads
    Uploads

I was 39 weeks when my doctor checked me. Checking just gives us a little idea but doesn't really mean much because you can be 1 cm or 2 cm dilated for a week or more. Getting checked isn't fun either.

Downloads
    Uploads

yeah resally there should be someone there to do ityou have the right to knowmy dr has done it since 36 weeks unless i say no

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll be 38 weeks on Thursday, which is when my next appointment is, and that is when my doctor is going to start checking me.From what I've read/heard, they do not necessarily HAVE to check for dilation. Is this your first? My doctor told me she doesn't like to start checking until closer to your due date if you're a first time mommy. This is because most of us tend to go past our due dates anyway so there is no point in putting us in unecessary discomfort. It's just nice to know if you're making progress. Then again, many women are dilated 1-2 CM for weeks on end before things really get going.

Downloads
    Uploads

Same thing happened to me. I was not checked until I was 39 weeks (last friday). The doctor told me there was no point to checking if I wasn't having symptoms of labor. I understood, but I was also hoping for some news. I am going back tomorrow to be checked again. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

it's not like getting "checked" is going to mean you're going into labor or not. it's just more to see how you are progressing. i know some people who go into labor before they even get "checked"...not a huge deal. i'm sure you want to know if you are dialated, but it's not crucial for you to know this information.

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually.... you are one of the lucky ones. Checking the cervix provides no useful information at all to either mom or caregiver. Dilation is not a precursor to labor, so being dilated or not doesn't really matter. Checking of the cervix can also open you up to risk of infection. You don't need to have your cervix checked at all during pregnancy or labor. It is a misconception that was started back in the 'teaching' days and just became routine.

Member tttttt:tSEXYGIRLt:tttttt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

they might not have checked you yet cause there was no complications or anything that they were worried about. they had me come into the hospital at28 weeks and felt my cervix cause i was having cramps and they found that it was soft already so now they check it every time but if you never had anything that you complained about then they are probably not worrying about you i wouldnt worry about it if you have any cramping or any pain that you are concerned about and your doctor is not availible you can see another doctor or go in to the emergancy room