Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Member manwithlittlebook's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Atheists have so much 'faith', it might exceed that of christians?

Let's face it, they have 'faith' in the scientists who 'rewrite the book' every time a new piece of a bone is found. They have 'faith' that there is this life only (which belongs to all men, and in reality, nothing could be more bitter than this) and so build future ruins for themselves. They have 'faith' that America will continue to be #1 and never fall to enemies. They have 'faith' that there is no God and therefore will never be held responsible for their actions which they feel no one sees. 'Faith' that monkeys gave birth to their ancestors.

Whereas I, as a christian, have faith in God

Who has more 'faith'?

Downloads
    Uploads
    sigh...

1) The fact that we are willing to revise our theories based on evidence is why we don't need faith. There's nothing wrong with admitting that we were wrong and correcting our mistakes. That's what learning is.

2) There's no faith involved in believing we have one life only, there's no reason to believe otherwise. It takes faith to believe in an afterlife without a shred of evidence.

3) I'm from the UK, I don't believe that America will be #1. The fact that you think the USA is the only country in the world is a sign of arrogance.

4) Again, we don't need faith that there is no God because that's what all the signs point to, you need faith that there is.

5) That's just bulls**t, get yourself a biology book.

6) You, you have more faith because you assume that an afterlife and a God exist and all the answers lie in one book that is riddled with contradictions and has been shown to be wrong on several occasions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) The 'rewriting the book' part should tell you that scientists don't work on faith. Scientific discovery is an ongoing process that requires being able to admit you're wrong, unlike the religious faithful who basically put their fingers in their ears and sing when faced with anything that contradicts their absolute view of the universe.

2) 'Atheist' does not mean 'worshipper of science'. Atheism doesn't necessarily have anything to do with science, and religion/science are mutually exclusive

3) If fear of God is the only reason you feel any responsibility for your actions, that says more about you than me.

4) Some people on the internet are not American *GASP*

5) I detect a faint whiff of Troll, but I'm not sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Let's face it, they have 'faith' in the scientists who 'rewrite the book' every time a new piece of a bone is found."

Because the book needs to be rewritten to keep up with the facts. We don't have dogma.

"They have 'faith' that there is this life only (which belongs to all men, and in reality, nothing could be more bitter than this) and so build future ruins for themselves."

Just like I have faith that the pillow I'm leaning on isn't secretIy alive. It's not faith, faith it believing. fail to see how nothing is more bitter than this. How does this build ruin for us?

"They have 'faith' that America will continue to be #1 and never fall to enemies."

No, I actually see it falling to either Communists or Fundamentalists in the next 100 years.

"They have 'faith' that there is no God and therefore will never be held responsible for their actions which they feel no one sees."

I don't need threat of eternal damnation to be morale. It's kinda sad that you do. I will be held accountable for my actions either way, it's called the 'looks my fellow man will give me'.

"'Faith' that monkeys gave birth to their ancestors."

Some variation of monkeys, yes. However, it isn't faith. Evolution has been proven in the lad recently (ie, a few years ago).

"Whereas I, as a christian, have faith in God"

So you have faith that there is an omnipotent being that cannot me seen, heard, touched, tasted, or detected in anyway shape or form and knows everything about everything and is good (yet for some reason I do recall Christians mass murdering 6,000,000 Jews)........ What????? How is that even logical a thing to consider????

"Who has more 'faith'?"

Trust me buddy, it's you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're contradicting your own religion by being sarcastic about 'faith'. And no, it's not 'faith' that makes people doubt whether or not 'the book' is real - it's because many people are sometimes evil, manipulative, and power-hungry fiends which makes this highly likely... you're the ones putting 'faith' in the fact that it's 'the book'.

And monkeys did give birth to their ancestors. What the heck are you trying to prove? Oh, right, you meant 'our' ancestors. You should probably go back to school.

Junior Member TheUndertaker'sWife's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Science changes as it finds new knowledge. And the bible has been re-written several times. In fact, everyone who re-wrote a new biblical translation did so because they disagreed with the last one.

Most southern Christians believe that despite it's crippling depression, corrupt politicians, and disappearing middle class, that America has been blessed by GOD! They even insist on having it on our money. They also believe that god made humans from dirt and that dirt man and rib girl gave birth to everyone.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Question doenst make sense, faith cant be compared that way. Two christians faith can be compared, not atheists/christians. Also, our (Im atheist) book we keep rewriting is to update it, with new discoveries. We arnt covering our asses, were correcting previously thought ideas. Like we may have thought for example that there were only 500 electrons in a certain atom, but we rewrote the scrince books when we found out that there can be and are more. Unlike christians rewriting the bible to cover up obvious overlaps and mistakes in your "holy book".
    So maybe think a little harder before you start posting crap about stuff you know nothing about. Athiests dont write a grim reality for everyone to get back at you bible bashers, its the truth, there is no afterlife with a heaven or eternal suffering. Im not going to try and convince you that your wrong or whatever, Im just going to say that your question makes no sense and doesnt do anyone favours in the religion argument.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i am an atheist and i have no faith in america..

Junior Member KasiosPhoebusAegletes's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ya really? u need to educate yourself... theres a difference between accepting and believing.

i dont pray to scientists, or the towns that we build, or anything like that. its called being reasonable and accepting who you are and what you do on this planet. im not even atheist but i call still tell you that.

its not having the distraction of religion and having it block your world and close your eyes to whats really out there and going on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Silly theist. Thank you for the points

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast