Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do I have grounds to complain? Power of attorney?

Hi
    I hold power of attorney for my mother and I have a question about my brothers behaviour related to this. Last year my mothers gp refused to re test my mother for capacity having failed the first test but we ultimately managed to have her tested as having capacity independently. My brother who is a high ranking police officer has attempted to revoke my power of attorney for no other reason than he wants to regain control- my mother revokedthe original poa with him as attorney as be wanted to sell her house. She appointed me instead which didn't go down well with brother.*
    The same gp is married to my brothers best friend and she also sold my brother his current house. Interestingly the gp has now recently tested my mother for capacity twice when last year she refused to do so.*
    I smell a rat. Question ... Do I have grounds to make a complaint to either the independent police complaints authority or the general medical council?

Many thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    It would be a lot easier if you simply talked these issues out with each other rather then inserting cloak and dagger issues.

Siblings can and do disagree with regard to elder care and differing views do not make one right and other wrong. While it is not impossible that there is some type of conspiracy making such an allegation would not be productive.

Your brother may feel she need not be living on her own - you may think she can continue - just because it is your view does not make his wrong. As a police officer he has probably seen situations where an elder met a cruel fate due to living independently and he may be overly worried about her.

In the end communication is much better than raising what may be baseless complaints