I am having yet another surgery to repair some damage done to me in Iraq. The ones I had after being wounded were major surgeries but I was not too aware of what was going on when they happened as I was wounded very bad and most of them took place while I was a bit out of it.The surgeries I have had through the VA since have all been fairly minor surgeries (at least in my book they were) Now I have a surgery in May that the surgeon said is going to be pretty major as they are cutting out some of the parts of my vertabra and also installing rods and bolts and screws into my back. He mentioned a lot of blood loss during a surgery like this.My question is can I donate my own blood in advance for the surgery since it is so far off and if I do can I donate it at a local VA and have them send it to where the surgery is being done (surgery is taking place 200 miles away) I am wondering becuase it will reduce the risk of getting bad blood.Also how long can blood be stored for. If I start giving it this week will it still be good the 1st week in may?I will call the doctor and ask but I just though of it and it is the weekend and wanted to know if there might have been another vet who has done this. Doctor wont be in until monday wanted to know now if possibleby the way love the rusty shackleford nameI am not worried about them not having enough I am worred about getting blood that gets by screening with TB or something like that