Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    boguexxx

Question for Wounded Vets about VA surgery?

I am having yet another surgery to repair some damage done to me in Iraq. The ones I had after being wounded were major surgeries but I was not too aware of what was going on when they happened as I was wounded very bad and most of them took place while I was a bit out of it.The surgeries I have had through the VA since have all been fairly minor surgeries (at least in my book they were) Now I have a surgery in May that the surgeon said is going to be pretty major as they are cutting out some of the parts of my vertabra and also installing rods and bolts and screws into my back. He mentioned a lot of blood loss during a surgery like this.My question is can I donate my own blood in advance for the surgery since it is so far off and if I do can I donate it at a local VA and have them send it to where the surgery is being done (surgery is taking place 200 miles away) I am wondering becuase it will reduce the risk of getting bad blood.Also how long can blood be stored for. If I start giving it this week will it still be good the 1st week in may?I will call the doctor and ask but I just though of it and it is the weekend and wanted to know if there might have been another vet who has done this. Doctor wont be in until monday wanted to know now if possibleby the way love the rusty shackleford nameI am not worried about them not having enough I am worred about getting blood that gets by screening with TB or something like that

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe you can although it might depend on your state.

Downloads
    Uploads

um, maybe you should call your doctor and ask?

boisterous j

The myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS, formerly known as "preleukemia") are a diverse collection of hematological conditions united by ineffective production of blood cells and varying risks of transformation to acute myelogenous leukemia. Anemia requiring chronic blood transfusion is frequently present.Well comrade, I hope this information is helpful. I will add you and your family to my prayer list.Check me out at http://www.togetherweserved.com (US NAVY)

bonding100

The doctors will try to discourage you from donating your own blood. You need at least a month or two to recuperate after donating blood. IMO, why even do it. All the blood that is collected goes through a big process and it will cost a lot of money just to seperate your blood. Most big surgeries and yours is expected. The hospital should have already done their homework and already set aside some for your surgery.