Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are downloading torrents illegal ?

i'm a little confused...is downloading torrents illegal? content such as films and tv shows? through any torrent site onto lets say bittorrent? and is downloading a torrent the same as file sharing?
    thank you
    i live in the uk if that helps

i live in the uk if that helps

Downloads
    Uploads
    Downloading torrent files with copyrighted content is illegal. For example, downloading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone would be illegal. If the content of the torrent file is something like an eBook of Youth, by Issac Asimov, which is legal to distribute under the Gutenberg Project, it's not illegal. So the answer to your main question would be it depends on what you are downloading.

Downloading a torrent is file sharing. It downloads parts of the file from people that are uploading it. The person downloading the file is downloading it from a bunch of other people that are uploading the file.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Torrents are the same as file sharing like Limewire & KaZaA. The legality depends on what it is you're downloading. Music, movies, and *commercial* software is illegal, but Bit Torrent has legitimate uses as well. For instance, I use Ubuntu. It's *far* faster to download new versions of Ubuntu via a torrent instead of a regular download. That's legal since Ubuntu is free. The official Ubuntu web site even gives you the link to the torrent file.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes

Many torrent sites like pirate bay and others let you download content that you don't have to pay for and that is just like stealing from a shop - getting stuff and not paying.

Don't download stuff from torrents - it's illegal and it may have viruses and nasty stuff in

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even i am not sure....i think they are illegal.....althought millions do it, the WB Cinemas always say that movie piracy is a crime...........

Downloads
    Uploads
    Torrents are the same as file sharing like Limewire & KaZaA. The legality depends on what it is you're downloading. Music, movies, and *commercial* software is illegal, but Bit Torrent has legitimate uses as well. For instance, I use Ubuntu. It's *far* faster to download new versions of Ubuntu via a torrent instead of a regular download. That's legal since Ubuntu is free. The official Ubuntu web site even gives you the link to the torrent file.

Downloads
    Uploads
    no its when you download illegal stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads