Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Why do teens complain about lack of jobs?

but then when you suggest a job they say "I don't want to work at a place like that !"

It just bugs me, I guess. I hear so many people, ages 16 to in their 20's complaining that their parents won't give them money or that it's so hard not having cash - but that it's unfair because there's no where to work. You suggest Macdonalds is hiring and they say they don't want to work with fast food because it's gross. You suggest getting a town job (painting fences, mowing lawns, picking up trash) and they say it's a "stupid" job. < Things I've heard people say.

Do you teach your kids to be picky about where they work as teens or do you teach them to take a job if they can get it - be it painting park benches or flipping burgers ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    In fairness, there really IS a shortage of jobs right now - and teens, as the least educated and least experienced demographic, are farther down the food chain than ever before. When you see people with their Masters bussing tables, you can imagine what happens to the people who usually DO bus tables.
    But I get what you're saying. Your first job will not be some utopian experience where you wear what you want, hang out with your friends while on the job, and never get your hands dirty. You will probably flip burgers, wash dishes, mop bathrooms, dress up in a rat costume, you name it.
    My kids have been shoveling manure since they could lift a shovel. My oldest 2 (18 and 16) have already proven that they won't be too picky, and I think the younger ones will follow suit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i know some supposed adults like that too. sure if i was college educated and looking for work, i wouldnt WANT to take just any job that came along, or be stuck flipping burgers with a college education, but if it came down to working at a fast food place, or going on welfare, or starving, ...i'll be asking,would you like fries with that? feeding my kids takes priority over my pride any day...........

as far as teenagers thinking they are too good for this kind of work, they will soon learn that no one starts at the top. everyone has to start someplace, and they will either be a worthless bum until what they want comes along, or swallow their pride and get to it....unless of course daddy and mommy have them a trust fund set up to get them started, but we all cant be that lucky.