What's the current High-tech "gadget"?

chasvanblom

May 18, 2008
I'm returning as a Substitute Teacher, beginning in September.
What are the NEW HIGH-TECHIE "TOYS" that most kids are expected to bring into the classes where I will teach?
I want to stay updated with the high-tech trends that migrate across the USA so I can be sure to use the proper lingo in class.
Thanks for ideas.

Kids these days are all into their phones and their iPods. With phones, texting is the big deal. There's also a trend lately for kids to do what's called "sexting," where they send sexually suggestive text and images of themselves to other kids (this is usually between 2 kids who are "going together" or between friends for a laugh.

And, just texting can be addictive to them. A couple years ago, when my daughter started college, she didn't realize that she didn't have an unlimited texting account and that additional texts beyond 500 a month were charged 10 cents each (incoming and outgoing). She ended up making and receiving over 2000 text messages her first month and ran up a $180 phone bill. That's almost 70 text messages a day, with most of them being completely inane (like "What's up?" "Nothing" "What about U?" etc.).

Back