Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 4 year old whines and cries when things don't go her way?

My 4 year old daughter constantly cries and whines almost over anything and everything, most especially when things don't go her way. It has been so difficult and I find myself losing my patience. I noticed too that its very hard for her to calm herself down, even when I try to pacify or console her. Unless, I give in to what she wants, she will not stop crying and whining for it. I explained to her that things don't always go her way and that there are times when mommy and daddy have to say no to her but I'm not sure if she really understands that. I don't know what to do, me and my husband don't want her to grow up to be a spoiled brat and a cry baby.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hard as it is, you have to just ignore...the minute they see themselves getting their own way...it's all over.!!! Simply say no, and walk away...

Downloads
    Uploads
    My two-year-old does this. However, we tell her that if she is going to cry because she is not getting what she wants or thinks she is not getting what she wants, then she can stand there and cry. Sometimes, she just gets upset because she says, "I want," or, "Give me," or other demands and we don't tolerate that. (She knows please and thank you.) We also tell her that when she calms down and uses big girl words (she's very articulate and has an expansive vocabulary), we will talk. She still may not get it, but she is learning to ask properly and to discuss.

For the most part, I think she knows that we will not give in, but she still tries.

Nip this in the bud now. My MIL raised my husband's little sister to get what she wants when she wants it. Even now, at 24, she knows that if Mommy says no, she just has to throw a fit. (Then she wonders why she has few friends, can't really get dates, let alone a boyfriend.... Yes, she does still live at home and doesn't really have a real job, just paid into an MLM that is going nowhere. She also has two cats to whom she refers herself as "Mommy". She tried referring my daughter and her cats as cousins, and me as their aunt, but I nipped that quickly.)

Anyway, start now before it gets worse.