Why do guys never seem interested in me? What is wrong with me? Guys, do you

jab

Jul 29, 2008
think there is something wrong? (I'm not gay but I thought I'd post it here cos a lot of you seem nice/willing to help out :p)

I'm 17 years old and I've never had a guy properly ask me out.

I've had several guys flirt with me (with the prospect of developing something), compliment me, and try to get closer but I instantly freak out and cut all communication either because a) I'm not interested or b) I just don't know what to do once we are together.

As of late though I just don't understand what is so unappealing about me. I do not want to sound full of myself, but I think I'm at least pretty, and I get complimented often (though mostly by girls, and girls/guys tend to appreciate different things maybe?). I get the occasional staring (but tbh, this makes me feel even more self conscious, as though there is something wrong with me) etc.

I'm 5'3, weigh about 100 pounds (? 50 kg) olive skinned, dark hair, hazel eyes (Arab). I'm intellectual, witty, generally engaging, caring etc

I just don't know what it is. It kills me inside, because I'm dying to know what is wrong with me. I always thought I had something going for me...but nothing is going for me!!! So many girls in my grade (I go to a single sex school) get so much more attention yet some are very average/below average looking and have generally plain personalities (nothing too unique, just like a lot of girls).

I can be anywhere with my friends, just talking and having a good time and then some guy will come up and ask one of my friends to talk, dance or whatever. I've been told I need to seem more available, but I don't see myself doing anything different than the other girls. I know I'm young (even though every other person I know my age and younger has at least had one relationship, but the more time progresses, the more discouraging this gets.

Furthermore, I know this may seem shallow, but a lot of the guys that have tried to hint something at me are not within my league. Yes, I know there shouldn't be any categories, but I feel like they're either intellectually inferior (I just can't hold a worthwhile conversation with them) and even physically not within my so called 'league'. And you know how they say that people end up with people who are just as attractive as them? Well, they've generally been very below average (and I *KNOW* this shouldn't be important) but I was wondering if this meant anything? I'm not saying I'm better than them or anything, but it gets annoying and sometimes shatters my self esteem lol.

Come to think of it (sorry for being so long) I've been told I come off as intimidating sometimes (by people who have finally befriended me and confess it) but I can't help that! I'm really not trying to give off that vibe at all. I'm very friendly. Plus, I'm not desperate and show a lot of restraint.

Guys are so hard to decode. I'm not understanding anything. I'm trying hard not to blame anything else and I'm trying to identify the problem with me as a person.

I want your blunt thoughts. Do you know anyone like this? What is your opinion on this? Could I be doing something wrong? I don't want anyone accusing me of being arrogant...because trust me, I'm not, I'm only saying it here in this question to give some insight into...everything.

SIGHHH, thanks.

tl;dr: I feel sheltered, inexperienced, left out and not leading the life youth normally do.

Back