Today, I realized that my current dog crate, a small fiberglass one with a wire front door and a top hatch, is basically broken. One of the hinges on the top hatch is difficult to operate and one of the springs in the door is toast. My mom has agreed that we should get a new crate.

I had originally gone for fiberglass because it creates a denlike atmosphere and I knew a pop-up crate would get chewed by my new puppy. She's a year old now and doesn't chew a lot anymore. Mainly on dental bones she finds around the house.

The thing is, I don't want to force my mom to spend too much money on another fiberglass crate when we could get a soft crate that would work "just as well?" What are your views on dog crates:

Is soft better than hard?
Should there be more than one door and where?
Any recommended brands? (Sof-Krate is too expensive)
Do you like the double hinges on the doors where you can open them from either side?
Would a soft crate work in the car?

My dog weighs eleven pounds. Would a run-of-the-mill soft crate be strong enough to carry her around in it?
Have you had experiences with your dogs chewing through soft crates to get out?

Thanks so much! Don't feel obliged to answer all my questions if you don't have answers for some of them. I DO pick best answer!