Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    JOHNNY M

My Internet is really slow, is this a Modem or Router problem?

Recently our DSL has been going very slow and disconnecting. I noticed that the data light on the modem would blink when whenever we were disconnected so we would just reset and then everything would be fine but every time it just got worse. We eventually got a new modem hoping that was the problem but we still have the same problems. I used to download things at about 90-100kb/sec not very fast but now its constantly at 50kb/sec sometimes even 20, its weird. I've got a Linksys router that we've had for about 2 years now I think, could that be the problem? If so how do I find out?

I'm not very good with this kind of stuff and the people at Verizon are really no help at all =/, so any help would be appreciated.

PS - We've got 2 computers in the house and a Laptop upstairs in my brothers room, so its not just my computer, its affecting all of them. Again any help on this and I will love you forever lol. Thanks.

Mr. B
    I work in ISP Tech Support. Perhaps I can shed some light on the matter. First of all to eliminate the possibility that it's the Linksys router simply bypass it and connect directly to your dsl modem. If this corrects your speeds then it's probably a setting with the "Internet Connection Type" and the "Local Ip Address" of the router. The information you need to reconfigure your router can readily be gotten from your ISP. If bypassing the router doesn't effect your download speeds then there's a problem with your dsl connection. Your "Downstream sync-up speed" may be out of sync. Your ISP will have to run a test to verify you're syncing up at the right speeds. If this doesn't resolve your issue please contact me for further assistance. I work nights.

Hope This Helps!

Downloads
    Uploads
    First the router does not make your internet slow. The router can handle speeds far greater than your Internet speed. It handles several pcs on the LAN side at 100 Mbps; your WAN side handles the feed from your ISP which is not likely over 10 Mbps.

Secondly, if you feel you are seeing a slower speed, measure it. Do not assume a download from some web site is a measure of speed. Most downloading servers do not deliver anywhere near the max available speed; in fact they throttle back to be able to feed several users and as the number of users increases, the speed per user drops.

Thirdly, the Internet speed is the speed that is used by all users; if you have 4 users downloading large files, each will have approximately 25% of the total speed as it is spread among all users. When you run a download test, all other users must be off line.

Fourthly, I note that you have a wireless router. I suspect you have not implemented all the security steps available to you and freeloaders have hacked in. Install and implement rigid security and this keeps freeloaders from getting in. My guess is that this is the real cause of your apparent slow speed.
    Either your internet plan is not good and it is not providing you with proper speed

2.) Or your WiFi router is damaged and is losing packets, this will result in loss of speed, try plugging your computer with your modem directly, if the problem isn't solved then the fault is the previous one..

The most effective method for speeding up a is just format the hard disk. Also check to see if
    you have any useless programs. Uninstall them. Run disk cleanup. Check to see what you have in your temp.Generally have a clear up of your hard disk.If your internet is slow, you should scan your computer for viruses and spyware using suitable programs(for example- avast anti virus or spybot). If you still experience the same problem Iwould advise you to delete the computer after backing it up, and then installing a new copy of Windows. if your
    problem is with programs running slowly- I can advise you to download this software, which can extremely help-CCleaner.
    Good Registry Cleaner will improve your computer and Internetperformance dramatically! Do all these and Perform speed here scanmyspeed.com once it will sounds better ...