How do I introduce rice cereal?

Jeanine

Jun 17, 2008
My daghter is 3 months and 1 week. She is drinking 7-7.5ozs each feeding. My doc says I should start at 4 mos. I dont know how (1st time mom). Do I mix it in her bottle? Do I feed it to her with bowl and spoon? How many times a day do I give her the cereal?

Feed her with a baby spoon, She will probably spit it out at first, but sort of gently scoop the cereal back up and try again. You can check this website. At first I was unsure of whether or not they meant put the food in a bottle or spoon, until they mentioned the other foods you should begin feeding the baby after the rice cereal.
http://life.familyeducation.com/baby/foods/40674.html -
I remember my mom feeding me with a spoon, I can still feel the spoon scraping up my chin, I fed my son his first cereal (pablum) with a spoon, but gently scraped the food off his chin. I checked the website to ensure things hadn't changed in 50 years.

My doctor said to never bottle feed cereal.

I used to mix it with some jarred baby fruit (for flavor) and breast milk (or formula) for consistency and feed them with a spoon from a bowl.

Slowly. Mix in the cereal with formula to let your daughter start learning how to chew. Once babies start learning how to chew then you can move forward with other pureed foods like applesauce. Yum!

Back