I am not a software programmer, just a computer user passionate about the latest technology, especially Mac laptops and my new iPod Touch 32 GB 3rd Gen. I have gotten various apps, downloaded from the iTunes Store. Some were free, some I bought. I read there are almost 200,000 apps out there now for the new iPad, iPhone/iPod Touch.

I have also read that some of the iPhone apps were not written by professional software programmers that spent 4 years in college, obtaining a degree in computer software engineering. Some of the best apps were written from self taught hobbyist programmers and actually wrote and sold some of their apps for a lot of money.

But where does an absolute beginner start to dabble and experiment to see if they learn how to write a simple iPhone app without going to college for 4 years. Do you have to take beginning programming classes to learn? And what are the best books and resources to get started?

I personally don't know any software engineers to brainstorm with, so any advice from experienced programmers who could offer some help and advice is really appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yep, becoming a great programmer is comparable to being a great musician, creative gourmet chef, athlete. Much time spent studying and learning the art and craft, then applying the knowledge to actually create something.

I wonder if there are some type of programming groups for beginners that are starting at day one?