Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    qualitytickets

Collection agencies?

I pulled my credit (I live in ALberta) on my report it is showing an outstanding telus account which went to collection. My credit report is showing a balance owing 0.00. I called the collection agency to take care of it and they are saying I owe 00.00 due to interest. I asked how much if I paid it off today but they would not budge on the amount, they said they are the 3rd collection company who bought this file and this is all the incurred intrest, if I only pay the 650.00 which shows on the report they said they will not remove it because the collection company says the total is the 1350.00 Is this legal. ( I was charged for a phone from Telus because I didint keep the contract for 3 years I was short by 2 months.if the collectin agency cant validate then how can this debt be taken off the credit report if not paid?

quala

Collection agencies?

You should ask the collection agency if they will do a settlement or make payment arrangements, most do. Although its not good to deal with collection agencies, if you show the collection agents some patience and respect they may be able to reduce the amount owed. Each collection agency has different means of handling these cases and have different rules, one of the best known collection agencies (you might be dealing with them now) is NCO Financial, I know they offer settlements for these situations.

Quantum of Elvis

Collection agencies?

First step, read the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act. Get to know these laws.Next, send this collection agency a demand to validate letter. If the debt is old (and it probably is) and it's been through 3 collection agencies, I highly doubt they have the documents needed to validate this debt.Chances are that this will solve your problem.