There can be no doubt that Audi is making two of the very hottest vehicles in the world. So hot are these cars, that I don't even need to mention names. Which we still find odd, as Germany's other luxury automobile has long been the official car of architects, graphic designers and therapists, not tail-out, tire-smoking hoons. But the cars speak for themselves. Or rather, the lustful, sinful, Pope-angering 4.2-liter FSI V8 they share speaks for them. The RS4 is a true giant killer, stealing the formula first developed for the E39 M5 and improving upon it in every way. And of course the R8 is the new girl who transfers into the 11th grade, upsetting and turning the hot chick pecking order on its head (we still reserve the right to think it's funny looking). But in each car, it is the engine and the engine alone that elevates these cars into the stratosphere. Automobile Magazine placed both of them on a dynometer and we couldn't be less surprised by the results. The dry-sumped, smaller flywheel R8 revs a bit quicker and puts down 7 more horsepower (338 hp vs. 331in the RS4) at the wheels. However, the "when I grow up I wanna be a freight train" RS4 makes a little more torque a whole lot lower down in the revs: 276 lbs. ft. @ 3,750 rpm for the 4-door, 275 lbs. ft. @ 5100 for the dolphin head coupe. – Jonny Lieberman
Dyno Test: 2008 Audi R8 vs. 2007 Audi RS4
</img>

More...