Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    bettybegood694u

Is it impossible to produce a laser pointer without using a genuine jem stone?

I have a cheap pen/laser pointer which cost .99. My friend still insists that inside of this and all others a diamond or possibly another gem is present. Thank You for your help.I believe that modern science has created an alternative, cheaper, and more practical methods to producing such laser/pen pointers. Such as the use of synthetics or other manufactured material.

eliminator_a
    In chemistry I learned it was RUBY (not just any gem stone) and a flashtube which creates a laser.

screech
    Lasers are made by electromagnetic radiation, not by gemstones. You might be able to get a marginal focal point, but you would almost have no intensity over distance

Novell_MCNE
    There a many different types of lasers, most of which do not need any kind of gemstone to function.Laser pointers use a semiconductor laser diode.

"Types of LasersThere are many d