whom to contact to get my writing published?

N

Nicole C. =]

I am not a professioanl writer. But I wrote several articles related to travel. Whom to contact to get my work published? I am a translator as well. I have translated many famous books from English to Bengali and Hindi. I am looking for someone who can appreciate my work. Whom should I contact?

you could try the publishers you translated for your foots already in the door with them.

for articles, contact magazines that carry similar stuff.

Since these are articles about travel, I would contact travel magazines like Conde Nast Travel, Travel Holiday (I think that's the name), etc. Get a copy of the magazines or go to their websites. Somewhere in there it will tell you how they want articles submitted. Usually they won't want the whole thing right away--just a summary and a sample page or two.

Contact my friend. He is a Published author and teacher. His name is Stephen Shifflett. Here is his myspace. Tell him Regina sent you!http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=163072101

You should look for markets in industry papers, or pitch your article ideas to magazines you think are appropriate. Always check that the publication is accepting freelance works beforehand and check submission guidelines.

try finding the writers bookstore online. they have a lot of books that have lists of magazine and book publishers along with what their guidelines, what they are looking for, what they pay, and how to send your manuscripts.

Before you sign any contract with any publisher, you might want to read the sample contract in this book: http://www.amazon.com/How-Your-Own-Literary-Agent/dp/0618380418/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205801289&sr=1-1Plus it has a lot of advice on how to avoid pitfalls and clauses in your contract that will leave you on the hook for a lot of money.

You should post it on worthyofpublishing.com. It's a great site where you can get professional feedback. Since you're just starting out in what seems a mass market publishing, it would be good for you to get feedback from that site. Many publishing companies will advertise an author's book on that site...and if the owners find your book good enough, they may have a publishing company look at it. But it's best to get reviews before you even contact. You have a long process to go through. Oh, and swing by and read and review my featured novel Witch Tourniquet.

You're looking to get travel articles published? Your first step should be to send query letters to some travel magazines. Present them with your article ideas (one article at a time), tell what makes you uniquely qualified to write this article, and ask them to contact you if they'd like to read the article.

Back