Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    melisa_estlack

My dog ate a chocolate bar. Should I take her to a vet?

NO DUR SHE CAN DIE FROM IT YOU IDIOT!

Downloads
    Uploads

is cocoa one of the first 3 ingredients on the list? call the vet if they will consult with you on the phone, to determine if you should bring him in or induce vomiting at home. here's some info on doing it at home http://dogs.about.com/cs/disableddogs/p/vomit_induce.htm

Melissa H

yes and very quickly

Downloads
    Uploads

If a baby ate something that was potentially fatal you would run he or she to the hospital, dont' treat your four legged baby any different. I have had a dog do fine after eating chocolate and I have also had another die from ingestion, the problem is that they cannot metabolize the ingredient that affects their heart.

melisker

my dog eats tons of chocolate. he ate an entire chocolate cake before, and was fine... .with the exception of the vomit soon after. i think your dog should be fine. if she begins acting weird take her to the vet, but if not i bet she'll be fine.

melisker

just keep an eye on her. Yes chocolate is poisonous to dogs but a large dog like a mastiff probably won't have any problem with it. I wouldn't go to an emergency vet just yet she will let you know if something is really wrong within the hour i am sure. p.s. your avatar looks a lot like mine i thought i had asked a question for a second and didn't remember LOL!

Downloads
    Uploads

if you take the dog to the vet all they will do is make the dog puke up the choclate so it its possible make your dog puke

melcw592

Did the dog just now eat it? If so, then take her to a vet so that they can make her throw up. Some dogs are more sensitive to chocolate than others so waiting is a crap shoot.

melanieinuyasha

Given the size of your dog, and relatively small amount of chocolate (compared to the dog) it's most likely OK. Here's a link with information about chocolate poisoning: http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutritiondogs/a/chocolatetoxici.htmSince your dog is 100 lbs, (45.5 kg), using the low figure of 20mg/Kg of theobromine, your dog would have to ingest about 900 mg. of theobromine, or somewhere around two ounces of unsweetened chocolate. Your dog got a little over one ounce of choclate, so you're probably OK., according to this source.Still, different dogs may react differently. Some may be more sensitive, some less so. And the 20 mg/Kg is a very conservative number. Just keep an eye on her for the symptoms listed, and if she starts showing any of them, call your vet.

Melinda

According to the website I am posting, your dog has very little chance of being seriously poisoned. I highly doubt your dog will die. Worst case scenario will involved diarrhea, upset tummy, possibly some vomiting.....and I would be surprised if all that happens too. Basically, the deadly toxic levels for a dog that weighs 100 pounds is this: 100 ounces of milk chocolate for a 100 pound dog33 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate for a 100 pound dog11 ounces of bakers chocolate for a 100 pound dogThe chocolate your dog ate was semi-sweet....so it would take nearly 3 pounds of this type of chocolate to be deadly/cause death. Just keep a close eye on her.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast