My toddler whines all. day. long. and there's nothing wrong with him. He's not in pain. He's certainly not attention-starved. He has SO many toys and DVDs and, we even have musical instruments at home (piano and guitar). We have a huge back garden where we bought him a bouncy castle, and he now also has a tricyle!! There is nothing in the house that doesn't keep him entertained. Yet with all those things, he sits and whines and moans all day and I have NO idea why. He'd fed. He's changed. He's clean. I even give him Calpol IN CASE there is some pain. But no matter what I do, or how much I try to entertain him (or leave him to it), he just whines, and whines and whines... even when he plays with his own toys, I hear him whining to himself!

It's become this consistent annoying noise in the background, and I don't know how to get him to stop. He's just turned 2, and is nowhere near a stage where he understands much. I try to talk to him to explain that he won't get any attention when he's whining, and I do give him attention when he goes quiet or is talking nicely. But none of these things seem to work!

It does drive me to the point of insanity sometimes! Any help please?!
When I said he had loads of toys, I didn't say it to illustrate that we spoil him - I said it to illustrate that he's not without anything to do. As in, he's not whining because he's bored. He whines even when he's playing with his toys, if the toy doesn't do what he wants it to do.

As for ignoring him when he's whining... that's what we do. We even have the 'time out' method. When he whines and moans for no reason, I do ignore him... and he can whine and whine and whine and whine...

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I cater to his every whim,but I really don't! Which is why I don't understand why he whines! So, if I said I give him attention, I get told off for giving him too much attention, if I said I didn't, I will get told off for not giving him enough attention.

I'm in a lose-lose situation it seems.