Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member rollickingredsfan's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a little, transistor radio, which I would place under my pillow at nights. Sometimes, I listened to Cincinnati Reds games on it, and other times, I listened to music. Country music was a favorite of mine and I could even, on occasion, pull in WSM out of Nashville on Saturday nights and hear portions of the Grand Ol Opry. I got a lot of use of that little radio and it ' took me places ' I seldom got the opportunity to actually visit. And the funny thing is, those little radios are collector's items today, often selling for to $ 50, depending on condition and whether or not they still work.

Downloads
    Uploads

What did you do growing up without Cells , Computers , TVs & other modern gizmo's as

a youth ? What do you do for fun ?
    Thanks All . D

And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!
    And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were luckily, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!

Junior Member Spiketthewonderdogt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only time I can remember being in the house for leisure was reading after dinner and watching about 2 hrs of cartoons on saturday morning. Space Ghost,Johnny Quest,Roadrunner,etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, how well I remember my booster seat as a child. It was metal and naugahyde and was made for the sole purpose of boosting a small child up to see out the window. Neither it, nor me was buckled down and when my father took a corner, my brother and I would skid into each other. Good times, good times.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Played with our friends in the neighborhood. We played a lot of dress up and pretend either with Barbies or ourselves. Also organized many evening games of kick the can, hide n' seek, red rover, Simon says, knock on ginger and flag football.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rode our bikes from dawn till dusk if we could, camped in the back yard and made our own adventures....catching bugs, collecting rocks, played marbles, pitched washers, and had a heck of a good time. Went swimming in a big ole tank a lot, too. Those were the days!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am 99% you asked this question awhile back, but I will answer it again! I know I had a much more "rounded" life since me life was so full of activities. I had Sunday school, church, church choir, choir in school, clarinet lessons, piano lessons, voice lessons, and many other "cultural" things to keep me happy. Yes, I did play outside, had sleepovers, did my chores, watched some television, but mainly school, after school activities, and musical lessons kept me very busy, and yet I got GREAT grades! Figure that one out! I think the more diverse activities, plus school and homework and goofing off somewhat make a very "rounded" young person!

Junior Member TerryaJackofHearts's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I grew up much like you. We played outside from daylight to dark and had to be drug back inside. Oh how I miss those days.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am really grateful that we have such wonderful communication these days - I love my cell phone ! My daughter lives interstate and has a little baby - we can talk to each other on Skype and I see my grand-daughter growing up and waving to me. When I went to live away from my family, my parents saw my kids once a year. We used to write long-hand letters once a week, and send photographs, but they cost a lot too. Now, email and sending pix is so easy , I love it. And the airlines are so cheap these days, I can fly to see them several times a year.

I know that people like to reminisce about how great the old days were, and sure they had some good points. But I'm really happy with our lives today - those gizmos make life a lot easier and happier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cells? Some of us actually studied and built mobile radios that we put in our cars, along with heavy duty generators to handle the electric load. We had slide rules. Most teachers wouldn't let us use them in class. It was cheating. TV was black and white and resolution and programing was so poor, I didn't watch it. For fun? We went to the local short track for the Saturday night Sprint car or Midget races. There was a lot of hot rodding and street racing going on too. Can't say it was safe, but I bet we had a helluva lot more fun than kids today. I took flying lessons too. Also learned to play a musical instrument. Played in the high school symphony orchestra. Friends had jazz bands, played at local clubs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast