Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bittorrent Viruses f/ Pirate Bay?

Recently i contracted a pc virus somehow. it is VICIOUS. completely destroys everything i download as soon as i change the file location. i just installed an anti-vrus software but something is not quite right with it yet. however, strangely enough i found this under the internet monitor tab (http://vip.tracker.thepiratebay.org/announce). does this mean the virus came from the pirate bay? i dont even use that site, i dont recall downloading anything from there ever but maybe i did, or tried to at one point. has anyone else seen this problem before? thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bittorrent Viruses f/ Pirate Bay?

the internet is a public place, it is a network of networks,, anyone with the means to come on the internet can, people choose to pollute the internet with garbage... there is no free site without a catch,, a point to point network is a rest haven for viruses,, the polymorphic viruses of the modern day will certainly disable ur antivirus and even make it spurt false positives,,, with that being said,, a torrent is highly infectable not only have you joined your computer to a p2p network you've allowed multiple computers to connect to you at one time,, <<exhale>> you must only trust names with integrity,, u must look for digital certificates, u cant download everything. if the virus is vicous as you claim the best thing to do now is try to acquire a live CD version of GNU/Linux OS that has an AV like ClamAV running on it,, you should use the live CD to revive your stolen windows drive,, the virus which is most likely a rootkit will not be active on the partition while the live CD is running allowing ClamAV once update to sense it on the drives and hopefully delete... u should ONLY do a VIRUS SCAN not any formatting or anything else... the harder way is to use tools like the sysinternals suite and XP support tools to locate the processes, files, and registry keys associated with the infection, then begin to disable them, which won't be easy as that. =) AVG & ClamAV are very good free AV's ,,, your browser was most likely the point of infection you should immediately remove ur torrent client as to it's probably on when u think it's off and it's probably communicating with the source of infection to send valuable personal information spam emails or other nasty things that internet people do.You should run a sfc /scannow against ur installation media either in the folder i386 or the actual CD. You should remove everything free that u downloaded,, things like weather channel widgets all that stuff is worthless, leave what u paid for or what came with ur pc,, ur personal files are fairly safe usually executables are the suspects of infection so u shouldnt have to delete the music u've pirated,, i mean downloaded,, u should check ur host file and be sure its not full of spysites rather than just localhost and that other entry microsoft throws in there. And finally ur *.dll files in %systemroot%\system32\*.dll should be reregistered with a command like regsrv32 u should use a manual to guide u thru that part. At worst and @ feeling uncomfortable with the prior methods find the nearest PC repair guy and spill the beans.