Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Climate scientist publishes new book arguing climate change natural - what

do you think? Dr Roy Spencer, a leading climate scientist, has published his new book, "The Great Global Warming Blunder: How Mother Nature Fooled the World".

It argues that climate change is perfectly natural, and shows how and why some scientists have been misled into thinking that mankind is mostly responsible for the 0.8 degree rise in temperature over the last century.

See:
    http://www.drroyspencer.com/2010/04/the-great-global-warming-blunder-how-mother-nature-fooled-the-world%E2%80%99s-top-climate-scientists/

What do you think?
    EDIT @ Trevor -

Not only is that not true, it's also libellous and you may want to consider withdrawing it (I couldn't care less, you understand, but someone else might).

Dr Spencer has never taken money for research from Exxon or anyone else other than the US government.
    EDIT @ General-Whatever-You're-Calling-This-New-YA-Identity -

I'm not "threatening" anyone with anything. I don't care what any says on the internet, but some people get a bit heated.

If one of those people reports what Trevor has written to YA as libellous it could result in his account being terminated and I for one value his contributions.

How do I know he doesn't take money from Exxon or any oil company? His website says so explicitly (see 'About').

Or are you accusing Dr Spencer of lieing now as well? Will the conspiracy theories never end?

Downloads
    Uploads
    <<Dr Roy Spencer, a leading climate scientist>>

It is interesting how the Deniers when citing a crackpot, make sure to call him a "leading scientist".

Doctor Doctor Doctor Spencer, as he likes to be called, has not only supposedly debunked the scientists on global warming, but he also claims to have thoughts in his head that show the Theory of Evolution is junk science too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Regardless of what General Alarmist says, Dr Roy Spencer is in fact a renowned climate scientist, and is not on the board of the Heartland institute. The closest he ever got was speaking at a conference sponsored by the Heartland Institute:
    "In March 2008, and again in March 2009 the Heartland Institute sponsored an international conference bringing hundreds of global warming skeptics to New York City. Speakers included Richard Lindzen, a professor of meteorology at MIT; Roy Spencer, a former NASA scientist; S. Fred Singer, who was founding dean of the School of Environmental and Planetary Sciences at the University of Miami and founding director of the National Weather Satellite Service; Harrison Schmitt, a former NASA astronaut and Apollo 17 moonwalker; and John Theon, a former NASA administrator. Participants criticized the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and Al Gore."
    All of these guys are regularly vilified for their sin of criticizing "the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and Al Gore."
    As for his scientific qualifications, they are as follow: This guy is a real climate scientist who actually has a Phd in Meteorology! I would be interested if any of the Alarmists telling lies about the man have a tenth of his qualifications and intelligence:
    "Roy W. Spencer is a climatologist and a Principal Research Scientist for the University of Alabama in Huntsville, as well as the U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer (AMSR-E) on NASA’s Aqua satellite. He has served as senior scientist for climate studies at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.
    He is known for his satellite-based temperature monitoring work, for which he was awarded the American Meteorological Society's Special Award. Based on the satellite evidence, Spencer does not believe in catastrophic global warming, and suggests that natural, chaotic variations in low cloud cover may account for most observed warming."
    I also found a list of equally renowned scientists who oppose the so-called consensus: Last time I looked they don't work for Exxon or the Tobacco industry either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    well scientists have a good reason for thinking if it unnatural or not this never happened before with the kind of technology around. but in my opinion we still need to stop making co2, the earth's atmosphere got along fine without our help and i dot think pumping in more will help it out either

Downloads
    Uploads
    Talking to Dr Spencer about the climate makes as much sense as consulting an electrician about a medical problem. He has been completely overtaken by the science and got left behind somewhere in the 1980's. He is still banging on about notions that have been thoroughly debunked.

I've not read or even seen his book but I bet he's still rattling out the same diatribe about clouds.

Oh well, it will be more garbage for the deniers to spew forth and regurgitate incessantly. At least his paymasters (Exxon Mobil via Cato, Marshall, Heartland etc) will be pleased that’s he’s saying what he’s paid to say.

- - - - - - -

EDIT. Guess I should have read the above answer from Antarcticice first. My suspicions are confirmed, it's the clouds yet again. How many times is it possible to re-hash the same tired old arguments?