Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Melba S

What program(s) are best for blocking anyone from tracking my presence on the internet?

I was told when surfing the net people can track you and ping your IP address which could allow them to discover your true address (home), is this true? If so, what software can prevent ANYONE from tracking/finding my IP address?

melanie c

What program(s) are best for blocking anyone from tracking my presence on the internet?

Not without tons of effort they wont. they can quite easily see your IP, loads of sites log all IPs and lots of stuff needs to know it so it can route your data back to you. From your IP all most people can do is find out your ISP and where their center is.......mine shows up as being about 300 miles away from me

Downloads
    Uploads

No I do not think so, as long as you have a good firewall and a good security suite installed on your computer.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a program called "Hide IP" you can download which will block your IP address. Keep in mind though some websites will not let you on them bc they can't recognize you. Also it is pretty easy to find your ping address and locate you if you aren't a computer noob. Also there are other programs you can use to hide your ip address.

melikafemme

I had the same concern so I started doing some research about it. It will take a ton of effort so most likely it won't happen, but it could.The safest bet is to use an anonymous proxy (which is what you seem to be interested in). I'll link you to the one I use since it also has a pretty good FAQ section that could help you out. Like I said, I did a ton of research and I found this one to be the best, most complete one.