Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Woody

Is there a secret to "getting a taste" for wine?

I would like to feel comfortable drinking wines and champagnes. Is there a secret to developing a taste for it? Currently the only wines I have found palletable are extremely sweet dessert wines. But that doesn't help with Toasts or dinner wines, etc.

Jeffery
    Most people have a hard time drinking dry wine right off the bat. So start with some of the sweeter, simpler stuff and work your way up. I'll make some general recommendations, but really don't be afraid to explore. I can find a billion awesome wines under $20 and so can you with an open mind. Make it fun, man. Buy 4-8 wines and invite friends over for a casual tasting. Look up some info on each, basic stuff like the main grape(s) and traditions of the region. Sit around and shoot the shit about it. I've set up literally thousands of tastings in my life, if you give me a general idea of how you'd like to start I can do the same for you.Look into German Rieslings and seek out a Spatlese. Also, be sure to look at Alsatian Gewurztraminers. They oten have a bit more sweetness than other Alsatian wines and marvelous spice, lychee nut, tropical fruit flavors. For reds start with Pinot Noirs or Red Zins. Oregon makes some of the finest American Pinto Noirs around, but they tend to be a bit earthier. Look for Pinots from Santa Lucia highlands or Russian River Valley. Smooth, elegant and mildly fruity. Zins on the other hand are generally high-alcohol fruit bombs. Seek out Amador county or Dry Creek. Even Napa and Sonoma Zins are delicious with gobs of fruit and a little spice. Valpolicallas (not Bolla) are aweome, medium-bodied and plummy...very smooth.