Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

is this the law?

that you have to have a liscence in order to buy a car from a dealership . what if you just want to buy it and pay for it? why does it matter if you have a liscence or not. I am 17 though. is that why?

Jus' "Breeding Around
    As far as I am concerned, if you have the cash, you can buy what you want at whatever age. It is none of my business if you can't drive it for a year or 5. I can buy a jet(I don't have a pilots license) so I have to rent a chauffeur(but that is my business)

fifibonjour
    The dealer doesn't want to sell you a car because you are not competent to contract.
    You could buy a car and then take it back and be entitled to all of your money back. Thats even if you had a wreck.
    All you would have to do is take back the pieces before you are 18 and the dealer would be oblieged to refund every cent.

msfgabe
    You do need a license to operate a vehicle. As far as buying a vehicle ( rules to purchase a vehicle may vary between jurisdiction's in your state) you need to be 18 and have a driver license and insurance to drive it off the lot anyway even if you pay cash. Have someone( preferably your parents) who is licensed to operate a vehicle, make the purchase and get them to drive it off the lot. Get your license so you can get insured and get the vehicle registered under your name.

DJ Curve
    If you bring cash, they won't turn you down. Because you are buying a high priced item, they will require you to have proper identification. The Feds most likely require the dealership to document all cash for car exchanges due to money laundering. You wouldn't be able to enter into a loan contract due to your age. Also, they will most likely require a licensed driver with proper insurance to drive the car off the lot. It would be irresponsible(and maybe illegal) for them to do otherwise.
    If you buy a used car privately, it would be much less paperwork, just be sure to have proper insurance/plates before you drive anywhere or else you'll get pulled over quick! Your insurance company will require license information.

Trinity
    I think if you're under 18 you need a co-signer to buy it. I'm not sure about the license, but it makes sense that a dealer wouldn't want to sell a vehicle to someone who can't legally drive it, perhaps like a gun sales person not being able to sell to anyone who doesn't have a firearms license?

Bill P
    you dont have to have a license but you do have to be 18. If you do happen to buy it, you will have to drive it off the lot unless you have someone to do that.

Dennis in Central Florida
    It is NOT a law , but it is common business practice because you must be 18 or older to sign a sales contract under the "Uniform Commertial Code" which is the body of civil laws governing commerce!

Dennis in Central Florida
    It is NOT a law , but it is common business practice because you must be 18 or older to sign a sales contract under the "Uniform Commertial Code" which is the body of civil laws governing commerce!

mdcbert
    You have to be 18 to buy a car.

You have to have a license to test drive the car, and drive it away.