Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Seeking

Administrator account's settings suddenly changed, looks like a guest account...?

The other day I logged into my administrator account (as always), and I realized that the welcome page was taking longer than usual to load. I didn't think much of it until I saw the screen. My desktop background is changed, some of my shortcuts disappeared, and generally my administrator settings are pretty much gone. It pretty much looks like my guest account, though I keep it off, and I am logged into my administrator account.But I went to Local Disk (C, and my program files and shared files are still there. However, all the files I had in My Documents are gone. I tried searching my problem on Google without luck. It seems like it's a rather easy problem to fix, but I just can't understand the jargon. Can anybody explain how to get my administrator settings & files back? Thanks in advance.

secrisk

Administrator account's settings suddenly changed, looks like a guest account...?

This happened to me once or twice I think. I didn't know what had gone wrong but I had to managed to retain my older a/c. Try this:> When you're at the screen where you're asked to select your a/c, press ctrl+alt+del 2 times. > Now enter your exact username AND password if you had one on your a/c. Try it out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Go to user accounts from the Control Panel and edit the settings there. Then create a password to prevent other users from accessing the administrator account.

Downloads
    Uploads

Occasionally Windows XP makes a mistake and doesn't recognize you as an existing account, so it makes a new profile and you start out all over again.To check this out, go to your C:\Documents and Settings folder and see if you see more than one folder with your username on it. If you do, one of them should be your old profile with all your documents and favourites in it.It is rare, and I haven't found a proper solution yet. I've fixed it once, but the solution wouldn't work when it happened on another computer. My advice is to try logging in using a different admin account if you have it, delete the newly created profile folder (then one without your old docs in it) and try logging in. If it doesn't work, it'll just create the same folder again. If that happens, just transfer all your docs from your old profile (eg. my docs, favourites, desktop) to your new profile and start again. Unfortunately it doesn't save your program settings, which you would have to redo, like Outlook email accounts, desktop background, etc