Electronic Health Records Alone May Have Limited Ability To Improve Quality, Costs Of

tD33NAt

Mar 24, 2008
The implementation of electronic health record systems may not be enough to significantly improve health quality and reduce costs. In the April 2010 issue of Health Affairs, researchers from the Mongan Institute for Health Policy at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) report finding that currently implemented systems have little effect on measures such as patient mortality, surgical complications, length of stay and costs. The authors note that greater attention may need to be paid to how systems are being implemented and used, with the goal of identifying best practices...

-xQBXODhllI

More...

That doesn't surprise me because with electronic records the data is only going to be as good or as accurate as what is input into the system. If a client's information is full of errors than it will likely be input into the database full of errors as well and medical procedures will be implemented based on the inaccuracies in the data. A friend of mine is a massage therapist nj and she tells me that keeping good records is a big part of her job and is crucial to providing good care.

Back