...cable, tv when I live in 2 locations? I'd like to be able to access the internet (with my laptop) wherever I am staying without having to pay for internet service continuously at both places. I can see that having a cell phone would eliminate the need to pay for landlines at both places -- but then how would I be able to fax? And how can I see my tv shows without paying two different cable companies?

I'm looking for fastest and most economical methods, please.

Today I read the phrase "mobile hotspot" & decided that sounded promising. I did a search and it led to WWAN cards. But 400-700 KBPS sounds rather slow.

I'm not in the least bit tech savvy, yet. (I haven't even bought a cell phone.) And so I don't want to sign up for a 2 year contract at $80/month only to find out there's something much better for what I need. Or that the $80 a month assumes I have some equipment or service already that I don't.

And, besides, the WWAN by itself doesn't really take care of all three. Maybe there is something else that does? Or does a combination of 2 out of 3 better?

So all you, in the know people, what's the latest and greatest?

Thanks!

PS I suppose it makes a difference where I stay -- NYC and the VA suburbs of Washington, DC