Though I’ve gone down a different path, a part of me will forever remain that devout little Catholic girl, slipping out of her first round at the confessional, answering the father’s remindful “Thank You” with a “You’re Welcome” … and spending the next three weeks sure she was going to burn over it.
Best Priest Ever? Fr. John Fitzgerald
Worst Ever? We’ll leave that to the masses. (heh. Get it? “Masses”?)
Anyway, God has spoken people! Archbishop Gianfranco Girotti says our Lord and Savior feel/s that polluting the Earth is one of seven abominable sins, updated for the 21st Century. The new list appeared yesterday in the Vatican’s newspaper, L’Osservatore Romano, and hopes to address the trend of people not caring whether or not they’re doing “the right” thing.
Along with drug dealing and abortion, the Church officially considers pollution a one-way ticket to Hell.
I don’t think any of the priests here are paid enough to afford their own car (zing!) - though when I was a kid, a 90-something Monsignor took me for a spin on his brand new motorcycle - but many practitioners of Catholicism do drive. So, how can we help save your soul?
1. Look to public transportation. Many churches already have a bus or buddy system to help you get back and forth. If a system isn’t already in place at your church, offer to start one.
2. Trade-in your gas guzzler for an environmentally-sensible car. It doesn’t have to be new, and it doesn’t have to be a hybrid. Even a Charger would be a step-up from a Hummer, for instance.
3. Practice driving methods that conserve fuel. No need to start hypermiling just yet, but there are common sense ways to conserve on gas that anyone can safely try.
4. Offset your other choices with carbon credits.
Obviously, the Church and I have our disagreements, which is why I no longer consider myself a Catholic. I have to hand it to the Vatican on this issue however. It’s time they highlighted the spiritual risk of destroying the planet, and prompted people to work against it.

Tags: Archbishop Gianfranco Girotti, Catholic church, new 7 deadly sinsShare This
</img>
</img>
</img> </img> </img> </img>