Just as the highly anticipated Super Smash Bros. Brawl hits the streets in the US, a minority of Wii owners are finding to their disappointment that they cannot play the game. Nintendo have acknowledged that there is a problem with reading the dual-layer Brawl disc where there has been contamination with dust on the Wii lens.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl utilizes a double-layer disc which has a large memory capacity. A very small percentage of Wii consoles may have trouble consistently reading data off this large capacity disc if there is some contamination on the lens of the disc drive. Nintendo has specialized cleaning equipment that can resolve this problem. (Please do NOT attempt to clean the lens yourself, as you may damage the system.)
Nintendo in the US and Canada have initiated a free repair process, but it will be little consolation to those that have waited for many months for this game. I’m no engineer but I can’t fully comprehend what the dust issue could possibly be - dust exists everywhere except in a vacuum, and I’ve not had problems playing dual-layer DVDs in any of my DVD players. Cynics might say it’s due to all that dust that’s gathered while waiting for the arrival of Brawl.
Nintendo has always been “king” when it comes to console reliability (think back to images of a GameCube being towed behind a car and still refusing to die) so this latest round of hardware problems, while apparently only affecting a small number of Wii owners, will not be well received.
</img>

</img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img>