This year is make-or-break for China’s international image, or at least it appears so. The Chinese government is going to great lengths — sometimes even hilarious, super-villain lengths — to make China’s formal introduction to popular consciousness the best it possibly can be.Â*China’s can’t change all its problems with bizarre technology however. Its ties to Darfur has led to the public, but essentially meaningless resignation of Steven Spielberg as some sort of consultant. Spielberg’s resignation was only peripheral, because despite what NBC thinks you want, the Olympics is about the athletic events. But now someone is sitting out who actually affects the Olympics: an athlete.
World record holder Haile Gebrselassie is almost certain to miss the marathon at the Beijing Olympics because of the city’s poor air quality.
The Ethiopian, who has asthma, fears damage to his health by running through the streets of the Chinese capital. The 34-year-old Gebrselassie would be a gold medal favorite if he did take part.
Gebrselassie hasn’t officially decided. There is still a chance that China could use some sort of super-secret technology to cure his asthma, or just threaten him. (I assume the Chinese won’t be able to read this. And if they can, I’m just kidding China, I know you’re still cool.) Also, how impressive is a 34-year-old marathoner with asthma? Very. Very is the answer.
Tags: China, Haile Gebrselassie, OlympicsShare This
</img>
</img>

</img> </img> </img> </img>