I’ll spare you the gory details, but the beginning of my week’s vacation in the UK has not been very conducive to beer drinking, or drinking or eating anything for that matter. That’s really quite a shame, because there is no shortage of small pubs which scream “come have a beer.” I think I’d be in a perpetual (if pleasant) haze if I lived here.
Most telling is the role beer plays in advertising - every one of these charming little pubs has a sign out front advertising “real ales” or otherwise touting the quality of the beer and ale products. As an indicator of the importance of good beer to running a good pub or restaurant, it’s very refreshing. Now, some of the pubs are more enthused about their beers than others, but it’s clearly important to at least make a nod in the direction of quality beer.
At the moment we’re in a nice little place called the Cinque Ports Inn, which combines a nice (if small) selection of beers on tap with the blessing of free wireless. I’m braving a Bishop’s finger from Shepherd Neame, a strong but tasty ale from nearby Kent. When you’re traveling, the combination of beer and free internet is pretty hard to beat.
Tomorrow I’ll try to upload photos of some of the very pub-looking pubs here in Rye for your viewing pleasure. Until then, have a beer!
Share This
</img>

</img>
</img> </img> </img> </img>