The other evening BK had great plans to grill up buffalo filets with truffled garlic mashed potatoes. Comfort food kicked up a few notches. I thought a Syrah would be a good partner for the earthiness and full flavors of the meal, so I dug through the mess that is our ‘wine cellar’ until I found the 2005 Novy Parsons’ Vineyard Syrah.Â* I had purchased this bottle back in October on a day trip to the Russian River Valley.Â* The first stop was Siduri, for their fantastic Pinot Noir….and the wonderful wines on the second label: Novy.Â* On first smell, there was earth, raspberry, wood smoke, and redwood forest. The first taste conjured up cocoa, cinnamon, pepper, cherry, and raspberry. Initially it was lighter than expected.Â* However, the Syrah evolved nicely in the glass—becoming richer and fuller. The tannins were fairly soft but the acidity was there, made more evident by the sudden presence of tart blackberries. Then later, vanilla came through, along with sweeter fruit. It went down easily, especially with the delicious meal.
And I I just went back to my notes from the winetasting trip to see if there was overlap of tasting perceptions.Â* Since we had tasted 10 wines at Siduri, my notes weren’t extensive, but I did write this: vanilla, cherry, cinnamon.Â* So it’s good to see I’m consistent!
Tags: 2005 Novy Parsons' Vineyard Syrah, Novy wine label, wine pairing for buffaloShare This
</img>
</img>

</img> </img> </img> </img>