Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it OK to bring a DSLR on an intense camping/hiking trip?

Each summer, i go to this summer camp and the scenery there is amazing
    however, the best places are found on the hike, which is pretty vigorous and intense
    I would like to know your guys' opinion on whether or not i should bring a DSLR on the hike, although i am a bit worried that it might bump against something or get scratched

i have a neck strap for it, but dont want to have to bring it in and out of a camera bag every few steps

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to hear you are going on a adventurous type holiday,take loads of pictures to remind yourself of a great holiday.You should allay all fears of any damage to your camera,the most important piece of "kit" is your head !! You can buy a new camera,not a new brain,if you are "scrambling",about on screes and unsafe type terrain,keep yourself safe and "balls" to your camera.Its amazing how many people cripple themselves SAVING some bauble rather than looking after thereselves or loved ones..

Downloads
    Uploads
    For decades I have always carried a couple of 35 mm SLR's (now DSLR's) and four lenses on all my adventures, from ten days of hiking the southern part of Utah to sailing in the Caribbean for nine and a half weeks during hurricane season.

I carry them all in a backpack and when hiking, I keep one camera out, with its strap around my neck and a good telephoto zoom lens attached to it. In the past, that lens was a 24-85 mm f/2.8~4 macro lens. Now it has been replaced by a 18-200 mm VR. I still carry a 12-24 mm, 105 mm macro and 200-400 mm lens with me (as well as a monopod) for those special times when the almost universal 18-200 mm lens cannot get the shot I want. For hiking, these four lenses are essential for the kind of subjects I want to be able to shoot when miles from the nearest campsite.

I always carry one and two gallon zip-loc bags with me in case I run into weather, I can protect all my gear. I have a special waterproof lens bag for my 200-400 mm I can use if necessary.